Belkin/NetGear/Linksys - what do I need?

funkey_monkey 13:01 01 Aug 2006

Hi,

I'm looking to purchas e aBelkin/linkSys router and PCI card for wireless internet - using cable (NTL).

Can someone who knows about these systems please help me out. I've been looking at some cards but the reviews keep talking about drop out rates being high and low percentage of maximum speed during use.

It is better to get the PCI card as opposed to the USB version?

Thanks.

Also, I am not sure about which router to get.

funkey_monkey 13:51 01 Aug 2006

I see that Currys have a Belkin Wireless G Router 2.4Mhz, 54MBps, blah, blah... for £45 and the associated PCI card for £20.

Is this option worth considering?

Thanks.

ade.h 14:56 01 Aug 2006

Is it the 32 or the 33? And if it's a 32, what version is it?

If you can tell me that, I'll be able to tell you whether to go for it or not.

PCI adapters are naturally perferable for desktops. Otherwise, get a desktop USB adapter such as the Linksys model.

It is vital however, that you check that your chosen PCI card supports WPA - some of the cheaper examples do not.

funkey_monkey 17:09 01 Aug 2006

Hmmm, the box didn't have a product code on it. I'll head down and recheck tomorrow.

Also, from looking at the diagram on the box, does there have to be one machine which is physically attached to the router? I noticed that on all the diagrams on the box one PC was connected to the router - why is this and is it necessary as a permanant part of the network?

Any ideas as to how I can tell if it is the 23 or 33 and version?

Thanks for the reply.

ade.h 17:13 01 Aug 2006

It is essential that you CAN connect one client to the router for first-time configuration, as well as making any subsequent changes that may affect the wireless connection.

My advice on this click here

Ideally, the model to get is the 7632UK (possibly avoid it if it has the 4A suffix). Failing that, get a Linksys WAG354G (newer than the WAG54GS).

funkey_monkey 17:18 01 Aug 2006

I think it is this one:

(Link to Amazon)
click here

ade.h 17:27 01 Aug 2006

Oh, that's for cable. I didn't know that you were a cable user. That model is fine apart from one major problem:

No WPA support.

Given that, I would consider this click here or the Linksys WRT54G (or variants) instead.

funkey_monkey 17:54 01 Aug 2006

Ade
Thanks for all your help on this matter.

Yes - I am connecting to NTL broadband - 4Mbps, cable.

What is WPA? I assume it is Wi-Fi Protected Access. Is this a type of firewall that is part of the router?

I notice that the Belkin PCI cards get a poorish review on Dabs. Can you recommend something suitable?

Thanks.

ade.h 18:38 01 Aug 2006

No, nothing to do with the host firewall at all, though your guess about the acronym is exactly right. It's a form of encryption that is a huge improvement over WEP. click here for the Wiki gen on how it works.

There's nothing wrong with Belkin PCI cards in terms of quality, though the cheaper ones that I have seen only support WEP. I have used the more expensive WPA versions.

I would suggest that you have a look at D-Link PCI cards as a good alternative.

ade.h 18:58 01 Aug 2006

click here Buffalo PCI - It's high-speed, but thats not a problem. Reasonably priced and provides WPA.

click here A Netgear equivalent, but a bit more expensive.

Like most PCI cards, they both have detachable aerials that allow an desktop antenna to be used.

Or as an alternative: click here

Whatever you get, if it comes with software, just install it with the driver.

Strawballs 20:01 01 Aug 2006

click here That is the 1 I use with NTL cable and a Novatech own brand PCI card for the upstairs desk top laptop has built in and downstairs desk top wired as it is close to the router and the 2 wireless ones are running WPA no problems.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?