Belkin Wireless Network Adaptor

EFC1878 19:05 12 Jan 2006

I recently asked about wireless networking at a well know high street electrical/pc store.

I want to provide access to my daughters pc by networking to my (the main pc) witohut having to change my modem connection [I am on BTopenworld and as it works I do not want to change it]

I was told that this could be done and that all I would need it a Belkin Woreless USB Network Adapter for each pc. So I bought 2 (one for the main pc and one for my daughters pc)

I have followed the set-up instructions but cannot get it to work at all.

Can anyone advise me on the following:

a) Looking at the box it would indicate that in addtion to the adapter I would need a Wireless G router. Is this so?

b) Do I actually need 2 usb adpaters i.e. one for each pc.

Help would be appreicated as my daughter wants toget on the net and I want my pc back....

Mike D 19:51 12 Jan 2006

I've got a Belkin set-up for my daughter and me. I have a Wireless Router/Modem and she has a USB adapter. As far as I am aware you need the router to be able to send the signal betwixt the PCs.

Mike

EFC1878 19:58 12 Jan 2006

Mike

I suspect that I have been given duff info and bought incorrectly.

From what you say you have confirmed my fear that rather than have 2 usb adapters I need 1 adpater (for my daughters pc) and a router for mine.

Am I right?

Am I right in thinking that the router sits between my BT modem and the PC? i.e. I can keep my existing modem?

EFC1878 19:59 12 Jan 2006

Mike

I suspect that I have been given duff info and bought incorrectly.

From what you say you have confirmed my fear that rather than have 2 usb adapters I need 1 adpater (for my daughters pc) and a router for mine.

Am I right?

Am I right in thinking that the router sits between my BT modem and the PC? i.e. I can keep my existing modem?

WHO 20:07 12 Jan 2006

Hi,
yes you will need a wireless router with built in modem as well.Important to check whether 54 or 108 Meg.Super G is 108 which I'm sure your usb adapters are

EFC1878 20:17 12 Jan 2006

WHO

The usb adapter I have got is 54G.

Can I not keep my exisitng modem and have the router plugged into the modem one end and the pc the other?

EFC1878 20:19 12 Jan 2006

Also just to confirm my understanding is iot only my daughters pc that will need an adapter in order to recieve the signal or does my pc need one also to give the signal as well?

PaulB2005 20:21 12 Jan 2006

It can be done as a Peer To Peer connection with just the USB adaptors.

I don't know how to do it but others do here.
Maybe start a new post asking "How do i set up a Peer to Peer network"

BTW nothing to do with P2P file swapping.

EFC1878 20:34 12 Jan 2006

PaulB2005

Thanks for the tip. I will start a new post. Not sure if it is better to do so in the helproom or consumerwatch forum

PaulB2005 20:34 12 Jan 2006

Sorry it's called an Ad Hoc Network - click here

PaulB2005 20:37 12 Jan 2006

click here

Replace any mention of Network cards with USB Adapters.

Also i'd put the new posting in Networking rather than help room.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017