belkin wireless network

marbles 19:47 29 Sep 2005

i have just brought a belkin adsl modem with wireless g router and a network card for my laptop thinking i have all that is required to go wireless, but it seems that i need a network card in my desktop to connect the yellow rj45 cable that came with the router is this correct, i thought i could just swap my present modem with the new and all would be o.k but seems not. Please help.

De Marcus™ 19:51 29 Sep 2005

Most desktops come with a lan port, are you sure yours doesn't? It should look like click here

marbles 20:00 29 Sep 2005

no i dont think so as i cant see one, my motherboard is a jetway v266dm approx 2.5 years old. does this mean if a do not have one i will have to buy a network card ?.

De Marcus™ 20:02 29 Sep 2005

Yes you will, they can be had for less than a tenner if you shop around. You'll have to make sure you have a spare pci slot. Belarc advisor should be able to help you out there click here

De Marcus™ 20:04 29 Sep 2005

The jetway site states you do have a lan port, are you sure?

De Marcus™ 20:05 29 Sep 2005

My apologies, looked at the wrong one.

marbles 20:07 29 Sep 2005

Thanks Marcus, i will purchased a network card. I thought it was to good to be true when it said on the box install in 3 easy steps.
P.S will it affect the speed on my desltop as i play a lot of online games ?.
thanks again

De Marcus™ 20:09 29 Sep 2005

No.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

Illustrator Andrés Lozano on his improv line work, brazen use of colours & hand sketching

iPhone X review

Comment envoyer gratuitement des gros fichiers ?