Belkin Wireless G Router f5d7230uk4 help

stuh90 20:04 20 Jan 2008

Hi,

I am just wondering, is it absolutely necessary that I have a modem for this router to fully function?

I have a BT Voyager Modem, but it's years old, and does not have the right fittings for me to set it up as the instruction manual shows.

I'm trying to set up the Router which I just got, wire it to my PC and have my laptop connected wirelessly with the USB adapter, but I cannot get the Router to connect to the internet, this is how I currently have it set up:

Ethernet Cable from Router to PC
Phone Line Cable from the "Connection to Modem (Internet/WAN) plug to my phone line.

I also should point out that whenever the Router is plugged in, my phone line goes completely blank and I cannot make or recieve phone calls.

I am on BT Broadband Home Basic.

Thanks in advance and I hope you guys can help!

Stuart.

mark2 20:31 20 Jan 2008

you'll need a modem or modem router I'm afraid.

I have the same Belkin router attached to my cable modem.

I'm surprised you have been able to plug the "phone line cable" in as its an rj45 socket for ethernet cable

Richard1980 20:42 20 Jan 2008

I tried...
I have a Belkin modem... probably that's why everything is working.. but not properly...
I don't no... any kind of configuration to set the PC to only use a certain network?

stuh90 20:56 20 Jan 2008

Thanks for the reply mark2

It's one of those double ended ones, with the small socket on each side, it goes in and it clicks, but it is still slighly wobbly.

Do you have any reccomendations? I previously had a ZyXeL prestige 600 router, which was just plug in to my PC and go basically, no modem required... I had that for about 6 months before I spilt my brew on it and it died.

So I guess I'm looking for another Router which doesn't require a modem.. I'll try and return this back to the shop but I'm not sure if they'll take it.. any reccomendations on a Good Router for around the £50 pricerange?

Thanks again,

Stuart.

Richard1980 20:59 20 Jan 2008

Sorry I missunderstood the Topic...

=)

mark2 21:02 20 Jan 2008

There's no modem in the belkin you have, as you connect via phone line you're better off with a combined modem/router.

When you return the belkin memntion you need to connect via the phone line and they'll probably exchange (with a cash adjustment) for a modem router that will suit your needs.

stuh90 21:03 20 Jan 2008

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?