Belkin Wireless G Router F5D7230-4

User-FB24AA8F-A1A9-44C5-B89A889E05D63D64 21:01 02 Jan 2006

hi,

just bought the above router and a Belkin USB Network Adapter. Have setup the router on the host PC and it works fine.
Have then installed the USB Adapter to another PC and tried to conect with the router through DHCP. It was fine at first but after I restarted the PC (client) it seems that it triggers the router to shutdown disconnecting both host and client from the internet. Tried restarting the router but same thing happens after a while. It coneects but after a while connection is lost with the router as the router shuts down.
Have also updated the firmware but same characteristics occurs.
Hope that someone could help me with this.

Many thanks.

mgmcc 00:39 03 Jan 2006

<<< Have setup the router on the host PC and it works fine...
...It was fine at first but after I restarted the PC (client) it seems that it triggers the router to shutdown disconnecting both host and client from the internet. >>>

When you install a router, there is no "Host" PC and there is no "Client PC". Both PCs connect to the router, get their internet access over the LAN from the router, and have an equal status in the network. You *must not* have Windows "Internet Connection Sharing" enabled on any connection in either PC, as this will cause problems and conflicts with IP addresssing.

Sorry, yes you're right no host and no client pc and both are connected to the router. I did not set either an internet connection sharing on windows. It is not my first time to setup a router. i've done a few with linksys and a few on belkin with other model but this router just intermittently shuts off itself.
Would the router be faulty?

thanks.
gary

mgmcc 12:50 03 Jan 2006

How does the router perform with a "wired" ethernet connection? If that is reliable then the problem is a "wireless" issue, but if it isn't reliable then you could have a faulty router.

Snowy3uk 13:13 03 Jan 2006

I have had very similar problems with the Belkin router and NIC which thankfully I have now solved. Two things I suggest you try 1) Make sure the geographical setting is correct - the Belkin software asks for this on installation but for some reason it did not take when I installed it - and reverted to US. Easily amended - look for the Belkin software in your Progams menu - you will see an executbale for the Geographical setting.2) Do not let Windows set up the conection use the Belkin software - there is a check box for disabling WZC.
Finally - check the router settings - there is a time setting for shutting off the the connection when idle. Make sure this is not the problem.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone