Belkin wireless G desktop card & wireless G Router

wandaful 07:52 18 Nov 2007

I am trying to hook up a desktop computer. I have installed my Belkin wireless G card and hooked up the router to the host computer but i am having problems getting internet connectivity with the wireless g card.

mgmcc 09:26 18 Nov 2007

If you are using a Router, there is no "host" computer. All computers connect directly to the Router and have an equal status in the network. You should *NOT* have Internet Connection Sharing set up on any connections.

As regards the wireless connection, have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? You should be prompted to enter any WEP or WPA encryption key and, once "Connected", the wireless adapter should get its IP address by DHCP from the router and you should have network and internet access.

There is a difference between the Wireless Network Adapter and Router communicating with a good signal and "Connecting" (as in "logging in") to your Wireless network. Note also that, if an incorrect WEP/WPA key is entered, you may appear to have "Connected" to the wireless network, but the connection won't work.

wandaful 04:25 20 Nov 2007

I cannot get into the belkin home where you change the wep or ssid to change my setting on the computer with the card in it.My belkin utility use to be green or purple but now at the bottom where the icon is it looks like a melted candle and i cant change any settings on it.I can get the belkin home and status of the computer(which says connected) with the router connected to it and it is working fine. any suggetions? Thanks!!

wandaful 05:40 20 Nov 2007

A few weeks ago I was told to use WindowsXP instead of the Belkin Utility now i cant control my Belkin wireless Utility to do anything.It use to be green or purple and had a great connection but now it looks like a melted candle in the tray at the bottom righthand corner where the icons are. Help!!!

mgmcc 08:36 21 Nov 2007

To access the Belkin Router's "Setup" pages, type 192.168.2.1 into your web browser. You'll be prompted to enter the router's Username/Password and its "Setup" should open.

I would suggest you uninstall the Wireless Network Adapter, uninstall all of the Belkin software and then reinstall the Wireless Network Adapter with *DRIVERS ONLY*, i.e. without the Belkin wireless software.

To do this, go into "Device Manager", expand the Network Adapters section and Uninstall the Wireless Adapter. Then go into "Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs" and uninstall the Belkin software. If the Wireless Adapter is USB, unplug it.

Reboot the PC. If the adapter is a PCI card, Windows should "find new hardware". If it is USB, plug the adapter in again and Windows should "find new hardware". Follow the wizard to install new hardware and use the option to install from a specific location. Insert the Belkin CD (but if it runs automatically to install the software, *EXIT FROM IT*) then continue with the New Hardware wizard and browse to the Drivers folder on the CD to install the Wireless Network Adapter.

Once its drivers have been installed, it should appear as the "Wireless Network Connection" in the Network Connections folder, but you can now use Windows' Wireless Zero Configuration software to manage the wireless networking.

Right click the Wireless Network Connection, select "View Available Wireless Networks", highlight the one that matches your router's SSID and click the "Connect" button. You will be prompted to enter any WEP/WPA encryption key and should then be connected to the wireless network. It really is much easier than trying to use the Belkin software - I have three Belkin adapters, PCI, USB and PCMCIA, each with its own and different software. Using Windows' WZC at least they are now all the same!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone