Belkin Wireless G desktop card & BTHome Hub

catho 15:39 16 Jan 2009

Have installed a Belkin Wireless G desktop card in my Dell PC running Microsoft Vista but cannot make secure wireless connection to my BT Home Hub.

The PC recognises the wireless card and if I take the WEP security off it connects to the Internet.

Yes, I'm using the correct Wireless key.

Have tried BT and Belkin help desks but point at each other.

Any suggestions? Not too technical.

Thank you

Zeppelyn 22:06 16 Jan 2009

I use a belkin card with BT hub with no problem. Its best not to use the Belkin Wireless Utility, theres a tick box there somewhere to use the Windows Utility. Try that

Snec 06:18 17 Jan 2009

Zeppelyn is right but I'd go even further. Some machines are fine using the Belkin Utility, with some others there is a conflict with Windows own utility.........
Uninstall the Belkin Utility via Control Panel > Add/Remove.

Reboot your PC and it will tell you it has found new hardware........ insert the Belkin disc (holding down the shift key to prevent auto start) and get Windows to install the driver from the disc.

Make sure you check 'use windows to configure my network settings' wireless network connections.

I think you'll be okay after doing this, if not come back and we'll cover a bit more detail.

Snec 06:21 17 Jan 2009

I realise I may not have been clear. What I'm saying is, all you need from the disc is the driver. You don't need to install the dodgy software.

catho 12:37 18 Jan 2009

Hi,
Thanks for the feedback but no joy. Can't uninstal the program - get set-up.exe stopped working. From what I can see only have the driver installed and not the Belkin utility. My feeling is that the security settings are wrong on the card but can't access to change.

Do I give up and purchase a BT wireless connector?

Thank you

catho 12:40 18 Jan 2009

Also - can't find how I ensure Windows configures network settings.

catho 13:51 20 Jan 2009

Please read the chain above - can you help?

Thank you

Snec 20:06 20 Jan 2009

Nobody been to help you, blimey... where are the experts when you need'em.

You'll have to make do with me then.

If you look in the system tray, towards bottom right of your screen, you should see what looks like a computer monitor.

If you don't see it then read no further.

If you do see it then put your cusor on it and Right Click.

Left Click on open network connections.

In the window that opens (Network Connection) you will see an icon that shows two monitors and is called 'Wireless Network Connection'
Right click on the icon and then left click on 'Properties' at the bottom of list.
In the new window left click middle tab 'Wireless Networks'
Tick the box next to "Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings"

Click OK and close everything.

If it is still not working then go back to the monitor in the system tray (where we started) and right click and hit repair.

Now you should be good to go.

Rayle 12:13 22 Jan 2009

The BT forum should be able to help you. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone