Belkin Wireless G+ Desktop Card being tempremental

Surferfroggy 20:37 13 May 2008

i have had a Belkin 802.11g Wireless G Plus Desktop Card for 6 months and at first never had a problem.

I got a new graphics card (a bit too powerful for the computer) and it stopped working when i put it in, so i removed it. It was saying there were no available networks when there was or it was finding it and then saying it couldn't connect.

The wireless card then proceeded to work correctly but for the past week or so it has been really wierd.

When it isn't connected to the network it has a signal strength of good/very good but as soon as i connect to it, it goes right down to low/very low.

Iput a new PSU in today for the graphics card to be put back in and it's gone back to saying there are no wireless networks in range or not connecting to one if there is.

Any suggestions for what it could be with or how to solve it??

Ashrich 22:07 13 May 2008

First thing I would try is moving it to a different PCI slot , there may be an IRQ problem with the one it is in at the moment . It also sounds like something is using a lot of the PC's resources hence the problem decoding the wireless encryption and the weak signal when it tries . What processor , memory and OS does the PC use ?

Ashley

Surferfroggy 09:05 14 May 2008

processor is AMD Athlon XP2200
memory is 2gb
OS is XP home

I will move the wireless card and see if it makes a difference.

Ashrich 18:31 14 May 2008

I reckon the new graphics card is using more than it's fair share of IRQ's available , so moving to a different PCI slot may just do the trick .

Ashley

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?