belkin wireless configuration utility

philly73 18:59 08 Nov 2006

when i open my belkin wireless configuration utility to refresh connection or carry out a diagnostic check a new network has appeared called 'kully999' and my signal strength is only 1 or 2Mbps is someone in my area with a stronger signal bleeding into my connection or am i beening hacked ?

skidzy 19:19 08 Nov 2006

Is your network secured ? if not,i suspect someone is getting free internet.

Check you have it secured by enabling a Wep Code.

philly73 20:36 09 Nov 2006

thanks for reply skidzy when i try to enable WEP it will not allow me

skidzy 20:49 09 Nov 2006

You may have to set up another code,this will apply to all machines that are connected wirelessly.

If you are having problems accessing the wepcode,you may find its better to to reset the router and start from scratch.

Normally there is a pin size hole on the router to reset to factory settings.

philly73 21:01 09 Nov 2006

once again thanks for your reply..think i'll wait till next week i'm having a new evesham pc delivered and installed and i'll get the techy to do it as i am not at all tech minded plus being in a wheelchair i cant reach router LOL..not that you was to know that when i originally 1st posted.

skidzy 21:07 09 Nov 2006

Sounds like your best bet philly.Good luck with the new pc,if you dont mind me asking...what did you get ?

philly73 21:27 09 Nov 2006

no probs asking.I've gone for the pc advisor solar GS with built in freeview telly and wireless connection total cost £1200 with waranty and istallation etc

Iron Maiden 21:28 09 Nov 2006

This may be of no use considering your last post. Others may wish to try it, did it on my set up everything works fine & no more anonymous names popping up in router dhcp list.

For total security & invisibility
Change your ssid, disable broadcast, use mac address filtering, turn off DHCP & use manual ip address.

In windows you will have to manually enter ip & ssid as it will not detect your network in a search.
This way nobody will even see your signal.

If you don't feel comfortable setting up everything manually, using mac address filtering will stop others getting onto your signal even if they can see it

philly73 21:37 09 Nov 2006

many thanks for the advice Iron Maiden i've copied n paste that info incase the problem occurs after i get new pc

Hertz Van Rentyl 22:01 09 Nov 2006

If you install netstumbler you can see all the networks around you with their channel lists. You can then select a channel to avoid conflicts as much as possible. If possible select a channel at least 5 away from the others.
click here

Iron Maiden 06:43 10 Nov 2006

Forget to say, although possible with wireless connection the changes to the router are best done with a wired connection

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?