Belkin wireless adaptor

DavidCap 17:04 06 Jan 2007

Hi all,

I would like some advice please on my Belkin wireless adaptor.

When I look at the wireless network icon on the bottom right of my desktop it says that the Encrytion is off so I phoned up my broadband provider but they told me that the wireless network is secure.

is this true?

Thanks for your help.

DavidC

VoG II 17:08 06 Jan 2007

You should enter 192.168.2.1 in your browser's address bar to get to the setup page. You can then set a security code.

DavidCap 17:10 06 Jan 2007

Hi voG,

When i contacted my provider that is what they asked me to do. so does that mean it is protected?

DavidC

VoG II 17:12 06 Jan 2007

If you've done that and you have set an access code then it is secure.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:12 06 Jan 2007

If you have set up a WEP or WAP key then yes it is secure.

DavidCap 17:16 06 Jan 2007

VoG and Fruit Bat.

Thanks for that.

But why does does it say Encrytion off when i click the network icon?

Thanks

DC

PaulB2005 17:21 06 Jan 2007

Did you save the settings when you set them up?

Go back into the router settings and double check. If so, try refreshing the network list.

DavidCap 17:32 06 Jan 2007

Hi PaulB,

i do i do this?

Davidc

PaulB2005 18:03 06 Jan 2007

Have you been into the router and changed any settings at all yet?

PaulB2005 18:04 06 Jan 2007

Also what router? Make and model please.

DavidCap 18:16 06 Jan 2007

Hi Paul,

Let me explain from the beginning.

This morning I installed Broadband for the first time using a network cable. I had no problems at all.

Then my father in law came round with his laptop which has a built in wireless adaptor too see if he could long on. He had a few problems at first but with the help of technical support from my broadband provider (sky) he was able to log on to my wireless contection. Sky's technical help, help me change my encrption code in click here and my father in law was able to log on.

i then decided to buy and install a wireless adaptor (Belkin). it installed straight away and i was able to go online, but when i checked the belkin icon in the systray it said that the encrption is off.

I did something to my pc (i don't know what) and the transfer rate increased from 12Mbits/second to 54 Mbits/second and the Encrytion said it was on, but i was unable to connect to the internet. So i used a repaired

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?