Belkin wir. cath up 3 networks and me nothing!!!

Richard1980 20:21 20 Jan 2008
Answered

Hi!
I'm kind of getting annoyed here...
I have a belkin wireless on the ground floor, no worries about that, I'm in a roommate and my bedroom is on the first floor, but the problem is I get the my network (the one I'm paying) but I get other 2 from the neighbours, a lot of people could say: YES!!!! but not me, the problem is when my neighbours don't have their router on I don't have any problem but when they turn it on my computer starts forget my network, goes down and try to access my neighbours network, but of course since they're encrypted and protected with password... Every 2 minutes I say to my PC that I want to connect to mine and 2 minutes later goes down again trying to access the other networks...
What can I do to solve this?
Can you help me?

Best regards

Richard

STREETWORK 21:26 20 Jan 2008

Look at the Wireless Configuration menu and make sure that your Wireless
Network is the only one in the Preferred networks (remove every thing else,
if any).
Then look at the advance menu and make sure that Automatically connect to
none preferred networks is Unchecked.

Richard1980 21:54 20 Jan 2008

Thank you m8...
Let's see now if this can handle it self...
Cheers...

PS: another thing.. do you know how to put a password into the nework... because my network doesnt have a password,that means anyone can have access...

Ashrich 23:06 24 Jan 2008
Answer

Log in to the router ( usually by opening a browser window and typing 192.168.0.1 in to the address bar ) press enter and go to the wireless section , find the security sub-section and select either WPA ( preferably ) or WEP ( Ok , but not as secure ) for WPA , either think of a long passphrase , or click here and generate a random one ( paste in to note pad first , then copy to the router ) or a long hexadecimal of suitable length for 128bit WEP encryption , or click here for a WEP generator ( again , copy to note pad first ) Save the changes to the router then reboot the PC , when it finds the network again , double click on it , it will ask for the new key , copy and paste it from the note pad file , that way you don't get it wrong , and click on connect , when connected the key will be automatically saved by Windows .

Ashley

Ashrich 23:17 24 Jan 2008

Another thing you can do , is to sniff for information from the other intrusive networks , for Windows XP download and install Netstumbler click here , for Vista it is a bit simpler , open a command prompt with Admin privileges ( start/programs/accessories/command prompt , right click , select " log in as administrator " ) type in ( without quotes ) " netsh ( press enter ) " wlan show network mode=bssid ( press enter again ) that will show you a list of who is broadcasting , and what channels they are using , try to get a channel as far away from theirs as possible .

Ashley

setecio 11:57 25 Jan 2008

>>> the problem is when my neighbours don't have their router on I don't have any problem but when they turn it on my computer starts forget my network, goes down and try to access my neighbours network <<<

This is a common problem if your own router has its SSID set to NOT broadcast or HIDDEN. To fix it, log into the router and broadcast (or unhide) the SSID.

Richard1980 22:55 25 Jan 2008

Thank you all of you...
It worked great...

Have a nice weekend...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017