Belkin WAP

  parrotman1000 21:04 06 Apr 2006

Hi all,
Right if i dont get this problem sorted in the next 48 hrs it can sod off and its going in the PLEASE HELP ME....

I have a Belkin F5D7633 router which works absolutely fine both in my office and over the field tomy home in one room as soon as i move out of the room it fades and disconnects. Asking Belkin what i should get they said a F5D7130 this i got. I have tried every setting, been in touch with Belkins online help and even got loads of print outs from them, if i dont get it going through you guys maybe someone has the telephone number of the engineer you can call out for 89 quid...
I have connected a cat5 lead to the WAP and set it up as said, i have been on the router ip and set that up but if i have the wifi on the laptop working fine as soon as i turn the wap on in house it just disconnects, turn it off again and it reconnects but i am still limited to the one 12ft square area.

Any ideas chaps

  mgmcc 08:55 07 Apr 2006

<<< I have connected a cat5 lead to the WAP and set it up as said, >>>

Erm, what have you connected the other end of the CAT5 cable to? A "Wireless Access Point", as its name suggests, provides a point of access for Wireless Network Adapters into a "wired" network. It would, for example, be plugged in to a "non-wireless" router so that it is converted into a wireless router. Your Wireless Router already incorporates a Wireless Access Point and to use a second one for improved performance, it would have to be connected by a long ethernet cable to one of your router's LAN ports.

If you are plugging a Wireless Access Point directly into a PC's ethernet port, it will *NOT* communicate with your router. In simplistic terms, think of Wireless Access Points as "Receiving" devices and Wireless Network Adapters as "Transmitting" devices - the two "Receiving" devices will not communicate.

A "Wireless Network Bridge" is the reverse of a "Wireless Access Point". Instead of letting Wireless Adapters access a wired network, it lets a wired network access a wireless one. In other words, plugging your PC into a Wireless Network Bridge would then communicate with the router's Wireless Access Point. Whether the wireless performance is any better than using the PC's WiFi adapter is another matter.

Example of Wireless Network Bridge - click here

  bobbyburtie 01:24 09 Apr 2006

To use F5D7130 as a 'wireless range extender:- click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?