Belkin USB 2.0 / FireWire Card

tooter 12:11 25 Mar 2005

I fitted a Belkin F5U508EA Hi-Speed USB 2.0 / FireWire PCI Card purchased from Novatech it has 3 USB 2.0 ports (1 Internal) and 2 FireWire ports (1 Internal).
I connected my Viking 6 in 1 Card Reader to the USB 2.0 port on the card and my Broadband Modem and Scanner to the two original USB 1.0 ports on the computer.
The computer would not shut down, it would go through the shut down procedure but when it should of switched off it rebooted again. I changed the Scanner and the Card Reader USB connections around and the computer switched off ok.
I have two questions that I hope you can help me with. The Broadband Modem sometimes will not light up (both lights out) when I boot the computer up, and sometimes both the lights go when using it, to cure this I remove the USB plug from the modem and then refit it, then it works ok (Broadband provider Tiscali; Modem type Sagem). Do you think this is something to do with the Card Reader being connected to one of the two original USB ports with the Modem in the other? Because it gave trouble when it was connected to the Belkin card.
The second question is about the Belkin USB/FireWire card, on the card itself there are 2 internal ports USB and FireWire between these ports there is a third socket which looks like a power supply connection, there is nothing in the instructions to say what to do with this socket, does anybody know? I have not connected anything to it. Operating system XP Pro. Thanks for any help.

lukef 21:50 27 Aug 2005

I'm probably late in replying to this thread, but I bought th esame card and now my pc restarts evry time I shut it down. I've "cured" it by removing the card for now. The Belkin e-mail support said I should try switching the other usb ports off. My local computer shop said I should reject the card (Amazon).

Don't know about your modem I'm afraid. The other socket is for a power supply - scant mention of it in the instructions - rather a peripheral mention of powering the card allows a bigger drain on the usb ports to power devices.

Hope of use.

Luke

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

The secrets of creating gory VFX

How to update iOS on iPhone or iPad

WhatsApp : comment lire vos messages sans que l’expéditeur le sache