Belkin Router - WiFi = Fast, Ethernet = Slow

PaulB2005 19:15 05 Sep 2008

ISP = HomeCall (Tiscali?)

Trying to troubleshoot a friends Belkin Router. They have an 8 Mbps connection and all seems OK with the laptop which connects wirelessly. However their PC (both old XP PC and new replacement Vista PC) only connects at a few kbps. Small downloads of 1-2 Mb indicate they are going to take 5 hours + but never complete, the ISPs speed test website won't load. I've monkeyed with the MTU (click here) but we can't get a reasonable connection. We did once (~1.5 Mbps)but after a reboot it was slow again.

I'm going over on Tuesday to try again. Any ideas?

So far I've got firmware upgrade, remove all phones from line and reset the router....

This suddenly started 4-5 weeks ago and apparently for no reason (i.e. nothing was changed the owner can think of.....)

brundle 19:39 05 Sep 2008

Reset router, try new cables & check for damaged pins (on both sockets and plugs), check auto-negotiation and duplex settings on the NIC (set to auto off, full duplex, 100mbps, power management off). Adjusting MTU on a specific PC will make no difference if the router MTU is set at a lower figure - the laptop connection being OK suggests MTU is not the problem, but check what it's set to on the laptop adapter anyway.

PaulB2005 22:23 05 Sep 2008

"Adjusting MTU on a specific PC will make no difference if the router MTU is set at a lower figure"

As per the link i was changed the MTU on both the router and the PC.

"the laptop connection being OK suggests MTU is not the problem, but check what it's set to on the laptop adapter anyway."

Good point.

"Reset router, try new cables & check for damaged pins (on both sockets and plugs), check auto-negotiation and duplex settings on the NIC (set to auto off, full duplex, 100mbps, power management off). "

Thanks. I'll have a look next week.

PaulB2005 13:22 10 Sep 2008

Well i got there and the problem was resolved on it's own. Owner is going to run regular speed checks so in future if it happens we can say to HomeCall "Well 2 days ago we have 6500 kbps, now we have 45 kbps"....

Thanks for all help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?