Belkin router

swanny2 16:37 08 Mar 2008

My sons laptop is wireless and it connected (the router) too my pc,now when i got too the beelkin router homepageand tick on wpa2 only then add my password ,an click save,,my son isnt able too get on the net then,because its asking for a networkk id>...Any ideas where i get this from please as we can put our password in but not the network code.. If i got too click disable ,he then can get on the net,and so can my neighbour across the road,witch im a bit concered about,others on my network
thans in advance .
Swanny :O)

Kemistri 19:33 08 Mar 2008

"Network ID" is not exactly a standard term; it could mean the workgroup, the service set identifier (SSID) or the encryption key. More exact details required, please.

By the way; did you ensure that your son's WLAN receiver supports WPA2?

swanny2 19:39 08 Mar 2008

cheers mate. no i dint check as i dont know how. an yes i think it was the key it was asking for. thanks anyway

Kemistri 22:44 08 Mar 2008

If the device's documentation isn't available, check the relevant website. If you post a make and model number, plus any revision number, I'll take a look. When setting an encryption key, I always find it a big help to write in Notepad first, then just paste it into the router's settings and paste it again when I need to use it on PCs -- less effort, no risk of typing errors.

swanny2 23:54 08 Mar 2008

ok cheers mate i will look in morn when me sons not on it. thanks

swanny2 11:52 09 Mar 2008

hi
the model number for the router is-f507230-4

theres also uner neath that a fcc-id,a ic number and a serial number.
thanks

Kemistri 14:33 09 Mar 2008

That's the router, not the adapter.

One thing that I forgot to add yesterday; make sure that you set the adapter to use the AES protocol instead of TKIP, because WPA2 uses CCMP, which is identified as AES in Windows W-LAN settings. You'll find it in a drop-down in the properties window of the W-LAN connection in Network Connections.

swanny2 17:39 09 Mar 2008

cheers mate, but im a bit lost in what your ttrying too expain , never done this before,all i know is his laptop works via a router from mmy pc (ethernet awire in back of my pc) this then goes too the router via a blue wire. hope you understand that . :O)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?