Belkin pre-N MIMO router F5D8230-4

Red Devil 22:09 17 Oct 2006

Hi all,

I've currently got my internet connection across my home network being shared using the above Belkin router. In the marketing bumpth on various retailer's websites selling it it says that the router can be used for file and printer sharing as well as sharing an internet connection across a network.

Can it really handle this? I've seen nothing on Belkin's support site that says it can and nothing in the documentation it came with says that it can be used for file and printer sharing, only sharing an internet connection. In setting it up, I can't access the other PC's on my network as I was able to when I had a wired network.

It's not a disaster if it can't handle file and printer sharing as that was not what I bought it for but if it could it would be a nice little bonus. I just don't want to waste my time trying to work out how to set up and get something working that has no chance of working as it was not designed to handle it.

Cheers.

Danoh 23:43 17 Oct 2006

Yes, I have the same router. However, file and printer sharing is not actually down to the router ~ its more to do with the operating system running on networked computers.

Check out many other posts in this forum which covers how you enable file and printer sharing (use the search box).

In brief;
> Setup all computers to have the same Workgroup name but different individual computer names
> Set specific folders (or files) to be "shared" across a network
> If necessary, change your computers software firewall settings to accept IP addresses for computers on your LAN
> Enable printer sharing on all except the computer to which the printer is connected

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?