Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router - Signal problem

RWBCAM 23:13 23 Feb 2007

I have a powerful desktop PC running Vista and a Compaq Evo N600c laptop on Windows 2000. The desktop is located in an outbuilding close to the house. I've just bought a Belkin N1 Wireless Modem Router and a Belkin N1 Wireless Notebook card for the laptop. (The desk top is wired into the Ethernet port).
I've followed all the Belkin instructions for set up and it all works ok when the laptop is next to the router (I get a signal strength of 5 green rectangles). But when I move out of the building towards the house the signal strength on the laptop disappears as soon as I'm out of the door. I've tried changing the channels but with no improvement.
I'm amazed because I paid the extra for the "N" type of router as it is supposed to have a fantastic range. Can anyone suggest anything to improve matters please?

Technotiger 23:24 23 Feb 2007

Hi, where is your router located? I believe it makes a difference in range the higher up the router is. ie - above head hight is better than down at normal desktop level, the higher the better.

RWBCAM 23:04 24 Feb 2007

Desktop level but we tested the router with another laptop today and found that the notebook card may be faulty in mine. I'll get it changed. Thanks for your response.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Interview: Camille Walala on her giant 3D installation inspired by childhood funfair visits

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Où regarder le British Open 2017 ?