Belkin N1 Set Up - Dissapointing

5ean 16:14 10 Feb 2008

I decided to upgrade my old Netgear 54g system.

This was the DG834GT with a wireless card in one PC and a USB arial on another.

The promise of the Belkins blistering performance interested me for online games. I now use ethernet anyway.

I bought the Belkin N1 plus 2 desktop cards.

How dissapointing! After spending the best part of £200 I am back using the netgear stuff.

The level of packet loss on the belkin is shocking, I don't think it's actually faulty so not sure where I stand on getting any money back.

I have played with all the settings until my hair caught fire then reset to default to start again.

It constantly drops connections as well.

I ran a packet tester and it was losing as many as 6 packets in 50 where the netgear was losing 1 in a 100. Connection speed is usually around 270Mbps but signal fluctuates widly from nothing to very good even in a quiet house. I don't have a 2.5Ghz phone and the local networks of neighbours on different channels. Not that it bothered netgear anyway.

Anything I may have over looked? I am willing to give it one more try before I e-bay the lot.

tillybaby 16:43 10 Feb 2008

Thank you for informing us of your disappointment. I have been reading about the Belking N1 affair for a while now and it seemed like something we could't live without, when I say 'we' I mean my son who plays online games a lot and this piece of kit seemed just the ideal thing,

I do hope someone comes up with a suggestion as to why you're finding it so disappointing because £200 is a lot of money for anyone to lose.

Ashrich 19:25 11 Feb 2008

First thing to try is to see if there are any firmware updates available for the router , and updated drivers for the desktop cards . The dropping of connections and packets was a problem for the older editions of this router , some of which were sorted out by updates , I suppose it depends on what firmware and drivers you are using . Have a look in Device Manager and under the advanced or power tab turn off ( un-tick the box ) that allows Windows to turn off the adapter to save power , and maybe allow Windows to manage the connection if using the Belkin utility .

Ashley

5ean 16:03 12 Feb 2008

Thanks for the reply,

I am using WZC not the belkin software.

The router is at the latest firmware but note it's a version 2. How you are supposed to ensure you end up with a ver4 I don't know? I have since read this MIMO technology struggles when there are multiple wireless neworks in the area.

I don't know if this is true but it sems to be.

Have decided to try and sell it and recover at least £100 of my money. At £100 it would be a bargain for someone I think.

g duff 23:25 14 Feb 2008

I BOUGHT THE BELKIN N1 COULD`ENT GET IT TO WORK SO I CONTACTED BELKIN.THAY TALKED ME THROUGH IT GOT ONE COMPUTER UP IN RUNNING. SO I TRYED TO GET THE ONE UP STAIRS TO CONNECT AND IT FAILED SO I PHONED THEM AGAIN. FINALLY GOT IT RUNNING BUT WHEN THE COM DOWNSTAIRS WAS ON THE ONE UPSTAIRS DIDENT SO ON THE PHONE YET AGAIN AFTER 3 HOURS TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK I SPOKE TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE. TOLD THEM I HAD ENOUGH OF THIS AND TOLD I WAS TAKING THE BELKIN N1 BACK TO THE SHOP I BOUGHT IT FROM. THAY THE GAVE ME A CODE TO GIVE TO THE SHOP WHERE I BOUGHT THE BELKIN N1 AND GOT MY MONEY BACK £195 SO CONTACT BELKIN FOR A CODE.

g duff 23:26 14 Feb 2008

I BOUGHT THE BELKIN N1 COULD`ENT GET IT TO WORK SO I CONTACTED BELKIN.THAY TALKED ME THROUGH IT GOT ONE COMPUTER UP IN RUNNING. SO I TRYED TO GET THE ONE UP STAIRS TO CONNECT AND IT FAILED SO I PHONED THEM AGAIN. FINALLY GOT IT RUNNING BUT WHEN THE COM DOWNSTAIRS WAS ON THE ONE UPSTAIRS DIDENT SO ON THE PHONE YET AGAIN AFTER 3 HOURS TRYING TO GET IT TO WORK I SPOKE TO THE PERSON ON THE OTHER END OF THE PHONE. TOLD THEM I HAD ENOUGH OF THIS AND TOLD I WAS TAKING THE BELKIN N1 BACK TO THE SHOP I BOUGHT IT FROM. THAY THEN GAVE ME A CODE TO GIVE TO THE SHOP WHERE I BOUGHT THE BELKIN N1 AND GOT MY MONEY BACK £195 SO CONTACT BELKIN FOR A CODE.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone