Belkin F5D8233 Wireless security issue

Picklefactory 20:12 28 Mar 2008

Hello folks
I'm trying to help a friend set his WEP security on his laptop. I am going into browser access (192.168.2.1) and going through the security procedure. It seems very simple. Enter pass phrase into box, click generate, (All Hex key boxes fill), and apply changes. I am then kicked off connection (As expected). I then refresh available wireless networks, connect to the chosen network and enter pass phrase on request, but it won't allow me to connect.
What am I doing wrong? There is a button on the back of the router that says security, should I be doing something with that?
Help!!!

_PhilS_ 20:22 28 Mar 2008

I don't know the device that you mention. However, WEP is not that secure so you might try using WPA2 if it is available using the same sort of actions.

Did you search for the user guide on the net?

Picklefactory 20:28 28 Mar 2008

I have user guide downloaded, the steps I've followed are as specified, which is why I'm confused, it looks so simple. I've avoided WPA as they intend to allow access to other friends, and I don't know if their laptops will support WPA.

_PhilS_ 20:32 28 Mar 2008

You've ried the obvious - using a simply key first I assume.

_PhilS_ 20:32 28 Mar 2008

You've tried the obvious - using a simply key first I assume.

Picklefactory 20:39 28 Mar 2008

Am I using too short passwords? Only 6 characters, I'll try bigger.

Picklefactory 20:47 28 Mar 2008

I'm giving up for tonight, I'm sure I'm missing something simple, I'll trawl web and check back again tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone