Belkin DSL Modem Router ?

ruskle 07:32 18 May 2005

I have a broadband connection with a BT point upstairs and downstairs which works fine
but want to use my laptop in different parts of the house. I bought a Belkin modem router and a USB reciever for the laptop, All instructions show that I need to plug a RJ45 cable into the port on the laptop and router and a line to the BT socket via a filter.
I thought that I would be able to leave the router connected to the BT line and take the laptop any where in the house without another PC linked via cable to the router, as the adverts show, I only have the laptop. I get a full strength signal when it is connected but a message saying "No network cable connected", Any idea where I am going wrong? All the leds on the left side are green, all the RJ45 lights are off.
I don't want to run a cable to other rooms as I have 5 rooms where I can use the laptop.
Russell in desperation.

Seadog 08:33 18 May 2005

I've got the same router. Plug the wireless card into the laptop and load the software do it, whichever way round it says in the instructions.I use a cable modem so that's the only difference to your set up. (My modem is in a cupboard with the router attached), once they are connected, switch them on and allow to sort themselves out. Then all I did was to switch the computer on and let it find the wireless network. You can then configure the router over the wireless network as required. I have two computers connected this way and occasionally a laptop. No computer is directly connected to the router as the instructions say and have no problems apart from an annoying flashing light on the router which I can't see now as it is in a cupboard!

Seadog 08:54 18 May 2005

OOps sorry, didn't read the post properly, I see you have a combined modem and router. Should still work the same though i think.

anchor 09:07 18 May 2005

Try calling Belkin support in the UK.
00 800 2 2355460

Dial the complete number exactly as indicated, beginning with 00. Regardless of your location, do NOT drop the 00.

Mike D 13:38 18 May 2005

I have a Belkin Router/modem and my understanding is that you must install the software onto a computer that is connected to the router via an RJ45 cable (in this case my desktop PC). My daughter's laptop is then used wirelessly.

I originally thought that I would be able to connect everything wireleesly to the router, but Belkin soon persuaded me otherwise.

Mike

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires