Belkin ADSL Modem with wireless router

hib7062 21:35 27 Nov 2007

Hello everyone.
Right before I explain my problem, just to say that I am a complete novice when it comes to Networking as you will probably notice!
I have bought a Belkin ADSL Modem with built in wireless router and am trying to connect it to my Packard Bell desktop.
Firstly I checked what Network adapter I have through my device manager and it tells me that I have a USB ADSL WAN Adapter - is this ok?
Secondly and probably more importantly when I try to connect the Belkin modem to my PC with the RJ45 cable I can't as my PC does not have a socket for it, there is a socket that would take an RJ11 cable but not the RJ45.
I presume to most of you this will be an obvious question - what can I do now?

Thanks

mgmcc 09:16 28 Nov 2007

<<<Firstly I checked what Network adapter I have through my device manager and it tells me that I have a USB ADSL WAN Adapter - is this ok?>>>

This is your existing USB ADSL Modem which cannot be used with a router. You need to replace this with the combined "Router & ADSL Modem", but this does have to be connected to an RJ45 network port in the PC. You cannot use the RJ11 port which connects the PC's internal "dialup" modem to a phone line.

If your PC definitely doesn't have a network adapter installed, which would provide an RJ45 port and appear in the Network Connections folder as that "Local Area Connection", then you need to install one. This can be either an internal PCI card if you have a spare slot on the motherboard, or a USB Network Adapter.

The initial configuration of a router almost always requires a "wired" ethernet connection from a PC. Once set up, PCs/Laptops can connect "wirelessly" provided they have a Wireless Network Adapter installed.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?