Belkin ADSL Modem with Wireless G Router F5D7632-4

abbosenior 10:42 06 Feb 2006

Help please.....
My daughter has just bought this model and needs to connect her laptop for internet access. The router must sit in the living room of her apartment (ADSL line entry point), but she uses the laptop in her study (wireless card fitted). The installation instructions say that the router must be connected to a PC (ethernet or USB)..... but this is not practical in this case as she only hasa laptop. Can she just connect the ADSL line to the router, and configure internet access through her laptop?
Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Thank you

keewaa 11:56 06 Feb 2006

Always configure the router via ethernet cable with wireless disabled on the laptop first. Get this working then disconnect the ethernet and enable the wireless and configure the wireless. If there are problems along the way you know before or after you get to wireless if it wireless problem or not. Once everything is configured then she can use the laptop wirelessly upstairs. It only takes 20 minutes to configure it all (assuming no problems crop up) and only has to be done once.

abbosenior 12:05 06 Feb 2006

Thank you for the prompt response. If I read it right, you want me to connect the ethernet cable to the laptop and configure the router through the laptop first? Then unplug the ethernet cable, enable the wireless and configure the laptop wirelessly??
If that is the answer it should be quite straightforward.
Thanks again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?