Belkin Adapter to Livebox

STREETWORK 18:14 30 Dec 2006

I have an Orange Livebox connected using an Ethernet cable/card and this is working fine.

Trying to connect another PC wirelessly to the livebox using a Belkin Wireless G Network Adapter.

The adapter identifies the livebox with a 78% signal but when I click connect it fails.

any ideas here?? please...

STREETWORK 19:24 30 Dec 2006

Well managed to sort this out and am posting the solution for others:

1. On the PC you need to connect, click 'start', 'run' and type in "services.msc" without quotes.

2. Scroll down to wireless connection and right click it.

3. Click 'start'

4. right Click it again and click 'restart'

5. close the window.

6. Right click on the system tray icon for the adapter and click on 'view available connections'. This will pull up a window showing any available networks (and may list others in your area)

Note: If you do not see any connections repeat steps 1 to 6 again.

7. Choose the network you need to connect to and click connect. Here you will be prompted to type in the WEP Key, this can be found on the base of the Livebox.

It should now connect...

oldog 12:40 01 Jan 2007

I have Orange Broadband with LIVEBOX which is apparently delivering the goods. (Proof: My laptop and my son's laptop managed to link wirelessly without too much trouble, one with internal card one with external card)

I also have a PC and my daughter has a PC which have Belkin wireless adapter both 802.11g both fitted exrenally.

I cannot get either of these to connect with the internet (I have tried Belkin's own configuration utility and the Windows Wireless Zero Utitilty and even messing with the settings manually and trying various different security settings on the Livebox)

Everything seems in order. A good signal is displayed. I type in the network key and the system says I am connected but fails on trying to load a webpage. The Orange helpline suggested the Belkin helpline (fair enough as wireless is clearly being delivered) Belkin tried to fob me off to my computer manufacturer but I don't buy this.

I am on the point of buying new network cards unless anyone has any new ideas???

(PS Looking at the various online forums it seems that problems like mine have been around for several years now. Why can't the manufacturers get their heads together and produce a simple standard?)

The problems I am having seem to have been commonplace for years now. Why haven't the hardware manufacturers got this sorted?

I

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Converse draws on iconic heritage for a fresh brand identity

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment lancer Windows 10 en mode sans ├ęchec ?