belkin 7 port usb adapter

johnnyrocker 10:09 22 Jan 2006

i have previously used a powered belkin 4 port usb adapter which previously held scanner webcam and printer but having acquired other gadgets i felt i needed the above and since fitting it and then plugging 4 port in to the seven i have lost my scanner and new found hardware pops up at start up, i put the disk in and point the wizard to drive d but install fails as it says cant find drivers, i rebooted and unplugged scanner ran install disk but it did not at any time sk me to plug in scanner but carried through the process til it told me it was installed which it isn't any ideas please?
xp pro sp2

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:11 22 Jan 2006

A USB PCI card is effectively installed as a HUB

You are therefore plugging a HUB into another HUB and Windows cannot see the devices.

This often happens when plugging a hubinto front ports on a PC case.

The HUB needs to be plugged into the USB ports on the Computers main board at the rear and scanner / printer plugged into the new card directly.

spuds 11:17 22 Jan 2006

Similar experiences with plugging hubs into hubs,especially self-powered units, they do not always work and lead to all types of complications.

johnnyrocker 11:19 22 Jan 2006

i only have two usb ports on pc and one is for use with my modem the other was the 4 port adapter which is now the seven port, the odd thing is webcam and printer are ok with the new arrangement, i uninstalled scanner in add/remove but still cant reinstall fom the disk.

johnny.

johnnyrocker 11:20 22 Jan 2006

both are mains powered.

johnny.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:33 22 Jan 2006

I think your best option is to fit a PCI usb card will give you 4 more ports

johnnyrocker 11:36 22 Jan 2006

are they expensive or difficult to fit? pc world best bet?

johnny.

jakimo 12:24 22 Jan 2006

pci usb cards from £5..must have empty pci slot,and ebuyer a good place to start

johnnyrocker 12:29 22 Jan 2006

my thanks for that and forgive my ignorance how would i recognise a pci slot?

johnny.

VoG II 12:31 22 Jan 2006

click here

Really easy to fit,

johnnyrocker 12:37 22 Jan 2006

thanks v much vog what i cant understand is why i can not reinstall the scanner as noted earlier, might sound strange but might the disk be a one time install only?

johnny.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?