Belkin 54g wireless desktop network card installat

njmase 15:28 01 Oct 2003

ive recently bought 2 of the above wireless PCI cards to use for a network in ad hoc mode. I have followed the instructions in the manual (install the wireless belkin utility off of the disk first, then shut down and put in the card) but after i have put in the card and i reboot , windows doesnt pick up the new device. i have tried the new hardware wizard in the control panel and nothing happens, and when i click belkin utility in the control panel the tab says " no adapters". Also, i have windows XP pro which should have got these drivers automatically. Can anyone help?

njmase 12:15 05 Oct 2003

ok i got that sorted, but i cant send files over the computers. Ive put them in the same workgroup and allowed remote access. Also, when i go to the worgroup and try to access the computer it says that it is not accessible and i should talk to the administrator on the computer, which i am on both PC's, can anyone help with this? i did some of the windows XP wizards but these dont seem to do anything

Jim'll Fix I.T. 12:37 05 Oct 2003

Are you using third party firewall software?

I had a similar problem when first setting up a network, turned out it was the firewall software (Norton PF2003) once I ran the Home Network Firewall wizard in Norton PF it worked fine.

Another question, albeit obvious, are both PCs members of the same workgroup/domain?

zydec 12:34 08 Oct 2003

Hi,

The reason you are getting this message is that the user account you are using on the other machine is not authorised to access your computer.

In XP the simpliest way to fix this is to create an account on the computer you wish to access.

I.E you are on computer 1 but wish to access computer 2.

On computer 1 take a note of the user name that you using to log in with and then create a new account on computer 2 using that user name.

Alternativly turn on the XP guest account.

This is different in XP pro to XP home.

XP Home:
Go to user accounts and enable the guest account.

XP Pro:
Go to user accounts and enable the guest account.
Right click on my computer and select manage
Click the + next to local users and groups, then select users. Here you will notice that the guest icon has a red X through this, double click on the guest icon and uncheck the account is disabled.

This should then sort this out.

If you need anything else let me know.

NICTRY 20:34 08 Oct 2003

Hi Zydec,

Having seen this post and realised that I have almost the same prob (except my client PC is running 98se) I thought I would ask if you have any other suggestions.

It appears that everything is working with my network except that I cannot access each PC and the ICS will not allow the client PC to use the broadband connection!!!!

The network is def OK and active as I reran the Norton Home Network set up and it found the client PC no probs and configured it to trusted etc. so allowing it to work but still no connections!!! Any help would be very much appreciated

Also NJmase sorry for hijacking your thread but thought it would be worth asking as it is so related!

mark e 20:39 08 Oct 2003

bump

zydec 11:21 09 Oct 2003

Hi,

No problems.

Can you list how you are setup.

Number of PC's, (Which os has the modem attached)
Operating systems.
Type Of broadband modem.
How the computers are networked, do you have a hub/switch or router.

Are you running any type of firewall software.

Thanks.

zydec 11:22 09 Oct 2003

Ooopss forgot.

who is your isp.

njmase 22:07 09 Oct 2003

hey thanks! both of those i needed to sort that. but one thing my family use the downstairs PC so can i change the password so that its different to the one on my computer? i tried disabling the password but the computers wouldnt share files.

zydec 12:12 10 Oct 2003

Hi,

not sure what you mean...

The user account must have the same details on both.

Enabling the guest account should require that you do not need to setup a user account on both.

If this is not the case can you tell me what happens and I will try to figure it out.

njmase 14:43 10 Oct 2003

i have an account called "Nick Mason" upstairs with a password, which i dont want anyone to know.Downstairs i had to set up a "Nick Mason" account with the same password to be able to share. If i disabled the password it would not work.can i just set up a guest account on the downstairs one and access it through the "nick Mason" one upstairs?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?