Try running it without the software (which you will need to remove).
The usual blurb:
1) Clear off the adapter software in "Change or Remove Programs", found via Program Access and Defaults on the All Programs menu.
2) Uninstall the device from Device Manager, accessed via the Hardware tab in the properties of “My Computer”.
3) Reboot. Run a cleanup with your preferred cleanup utility.
4) Insert your driver CD, but cancel it if it starts to run. DO NOT let it run.
5) Insert the PC Card or USB adapter.
6) Wait for the "New Hardware Found" wizard to begin and point it to the CD when prompted to search for a driver. Alternatively, download the latest driver from the manufacturer's support site and save it in a convenient location.