behind router cannot create game?

NGE 16:22 23 Apr 2004

RIght i am on a network and wish to create a server on counter strike 1.6 so i can play with some friends over the internet, but when the game is created, they cannot find my game, it would say not responding. I think i have to open some ports on my router, but im not sure how to do this, and i dont know which ports. Can anyone help? I have asked my friend to make a game as hes not on a network but when i try connect it says restricted to lan clients class c? Can anyone help.

anon1 16:30 23 Apr 2004

I think you will find it difficult to get an answer because you have not been very specific. What make of router? what game? what os? You could look at the router's manufacturer website or even the help files on ways to open ports but of course you have to close them again when you have done. Do you use a firewall in conjunction with the router? (that could cause problems)

Xevious 16:31 23 Apr 2004

or look on the game designer website, there should be a forum or an FAQ

anon1 16:32 23 Apr 2004

I just noticed the name of the game and a quick google search found click here may help you

Xevious 16:39 23 Apr 2004

again, people underestimate the power of google hey! ;-)

DMZ on router to the IP of the server. Cos the router act's like a firewall and needs to be told to let certain traffic in.

Sorted.

Xevious 16:55 23 Apr 2004

what does DMZ do?

NGE 17:58 23 Apr 2004

thanks all. I know dmz will work but it exposes my pc over the internet and high risk of being hacked. I like to play safe. Will look at that link, thanks all. My OS is windows xp pro and router is a linksys model besfr4 from memory, but that might be a little off.

NGE 18:18 23 Apr 2004

hi, i opened ports 27015 and 27005 on my router and my friends can now see my game, but like when my friend created a game, it now says lan restricted to local clients (class c) does anyone know what this means? And how to get past it?

NGE 22:21 24 Apr 2004

^Bump

pc moron 22:34 24 Apr 2004

I've never tried it, but you could try "port forwarding" your IP address on your router.

As I understand it this will expose your PC to the internet and effectively make it a server.

Your friends will be able to "see" it, and so will everyone else.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

Halloween Photoshop & Illustrator tutorials: 20 step-by-step guides to creating spook-tacular…

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?