Behaviour Trojan Virus in System Volume

1933 16:19 28 Sep 2006

Several times in the past weeks my NTL Netguard virus software has found the following virus W32/behaviour:Selfstarterinternet trojan!maximus on drive G in System Volume Information\_restore{1471035E-15CE-4EES-8742-18D8C2BC7865}\RP163\A00
Each time Netguard staes that it will be removed at next start up - but it reappears. I have formatted the drive but still the virus is found. Is there a way of removing the System Volume Information folder or at least the file. I think that the G drive may have been a boot drive at some time but is now only used as storage. Many thanks Dave

powertron 16:53 28 Sep 2006

Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore/system restore settings/put a tick in 'turn off system restore'/click apply/then click 'ok' then reboot.
When Pc comes back online, Start/all programs/accessories/system tools/system restore/system restore settings/uncheck 'turn off system restore'/apply/ok...
This should solve the problem for you, if not come back and we will see what we can do to further assist you.
With thanks.
Powertron.

gudgulf 16:57 28 Sep 2006

Go to Start and right click My Computer,choose properties from the menu.

Now click on the System Restore tab and check what it says for your G drive......if it says "monitoring" then click on the drive icon to highlight it and then click the Settings button.

Now put a tick in the "Turn off System Restore on this drive",apply and ok out.

If you are just using the G drive for data you don't need it monitored as you might find you lose recent data if you actually use system Restore.

Turning of System Restore on the G drive will delete all the restore points from that drive and remove the embedded virus with them.

Once done scan again to make sure it's fully gone from the system.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?