beginners linux

yaesu 19:49 18 Jul 2004

Hi folks, would anyone like to advise which flavour of linux would be best for a complete novice? How available are printer drivers? I've a canon i850.
Should there be problems with bt broadband or dial up connections? Thanks, yaesu.

Valvegrid 20:17 18 Jul 2004

I've been using Xandros for about three weeks now, and I'm getting on fine with it. It was very easy to install and it dual boots with my windows 98SE, so I can still use that if I want to. I checked your printer, it doesn't seemed to be supported.

If you use an NIC card to connect to the internet, it shouldn't be a problem, I use a 3com card and Xandros found it straight away, USB can be a problem though, but this is the same on Windows as well.

It depends on what modem you're using, some modems can be a problem on Linux generally.

Xandros do offer an open circulation version for US$10 or free if you don't mind P to P. I like it so much I bought the Deluxe version for US$89.

By the way, I'm a complete novice with Linux. But you will find plenty of help, the Linux guy's and gal's are a very helpful freindly bunch like they are on this forum.

click here

yaesu 19:52 19 Jul 2004

tnx valvegrid, as printer not supported i'll maybe try a dual boot setup so I can see what it has to offer. Yaesu

LastChip 20:06 19 Jul 2004

Mandrake 10.0 is the latest, but I find 9.2 is the easier option. I think there may still be some bugs in 10.0, that have not yet been fully sorted.

Your printer will probably play ball via the CUPS utility.

Persevere, because its a steep learning curve, but the more you get into it, the more rewarding it is!

Keep in mind one important basic rule. As Linux is generally much more secure than Windows, by default, almost everything is turned off, therefore, if you want something to work, you need to turn it on! Mandrake is (by Linux standards) friendly in this respect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?