Beginner - AOL Gold Broadband - DG834GT

fran_oops 13:52 24 Feb 2006

Have been on a few sites and took 2 days to find the question I asked on someone elses thread. OK on computers but HELP with the technical stuff. Have spent 3 days sitting in the cupboard under the stairs linked by 7.5m cable to main BT line - after first day abandoned router and tried just installing Broadband. Managed with the kids 2 new laptops (sigh hooray) using usb link and voyager modem supplied by aol. Would not work with my older laptop and helpline told me it was because my aol9.0 cd supplied with kit had aol8.0drivers so it would not work (why did kids work?) and have to go to BT warehouse to get new CD - live in middle of nowhere ...... so now reduced to pleading with kids to let me go on their laptops to get on the internet to try and get on.
Can one of you very kind people out there (don't you ever tire of people like me) take me step by step through:
1. Getting 3 laptops and 1 newish PC all with XP onto Broadband Gold
2. Without driving my (what do you mean reconfigure!!) brain wild - get me to set up network with Netgear DG834GT - will try first with wire then go wireless since have house with some very thick sandstone walls that even cordless phone won't work through - so starting with me and all computers in the cupboard under the stairs and wires and branch out - and I mean STEP BY STEP lead by the nose instructions - must be a book in it for someone!!

keewaa 20:13 26 Feb 2006

Step 1) Cancel your AOL
Step 2) Sign up with another ISP
but ignoring that :
What are the essential settings for connecting to AOL with a router?

Connection Protocol: PPPoA
VPI: 0 VCI: 38 Note that sometimes you will be asked for both figures together (VPI/VCI). In that instance, you enter them separated by a comma: 0,38
Username: [email protected]
Password: youraolpassword 8 LETTERS OR LESS (NO SPACES, NO UPPERCASE LETTERS, NO SYMBOLS OR NUMBERS)

Are there special requirements for the Screen Name I use to set up my home network? Yes. The Screen Name you use for configuring your router to sign on to AOL must follow the following guidelines to avoid technical problems with your connection:

You must enter the full Screen Name in lower case , You must add @aol.com after the Screen Name, The Screen Name must not contain any spaces, The Screen Name must have General (18+) access in AOL Parental Controls (Mature Teen, Young Teen and Kids Only Screen Names will not work for a router connection). For example, if your current Screen Name is: FTG and HL24 The router setup for this Screen Name should be: [email protected]

We recommend that you create a new Screen Name for your router to connect to AOL. (If you use an existing Screen Name, then access AOL from a different location using that same Screen Name, your router will lose connection to the Internet.)

You can create a new Screen Name for this purpose at AOL Keyword:Screen Names, making sure that it follows the above guidelines. AOL say that AOL Silver will not work for Home Networking and don't support it, however it can be configured to work but you are limited to ONE screen Name.

Wireless Settings:
When configuring a wireless router, you may also be prompted for the following:

SSID: This is the 'name' of the router that you are using and is used by wireless adapters when they attempt to establish a connection.
WEP Key : The WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) key is the equivalent of a password on your router. Depending on your setup, it may be necessary to define one of these and ensure that any wireless adapters that connect to the router have the same key in their settings.
Network Type: There are a number of possible choices available here, but, if the option is available, you should choose Base Station.
MTU Setting: MTU (Maximum Transfer Unit) defines the largest data packet size you can transmit in one go across a network. The AOL network runs at an MTU of 1400. Many routers have inbuilt auto-configurations where the hardware identifies that the AOL traffic has an MTU of 1400 and dynamically adjusts. Alternatively you may have to manually change the MTU setting within the router. If the router hardware does not have this facility, the MTU setting can manually be changed on the computer to 1400 by using DrTCP click here click here .
MRU Setting: MRU (Maximum Routing Unit) is required by some modem routers and should be set to the same value as the MTU of 1400.
MSS Setting: MSS (Maximum Segment Size) is required by some modem routers and dynamically adjusts the packet size to fit the MTU. It should be set to 1360.

Setting up AOL to connect via a router on AOL 9.0

Step 1: Start AOL but do not sign on at this point. Instead, click Sign On Options on the AOL Sign-On screen.
Step 2: Click on Expert Setup.
Step 3: Click Add Location.
Step 4: Type a name for the location in the Location Name box -- for example, 'Router' -- then click Next.
Step 5: Choose Broadband (High-Speed, cable, DSL, or other ISP), then click Next.
Step 6: Tick Automatically reconnect me and ignore interruptions... then click Next.
Step 7: Select Automatic Connection, then click Next.
Step 8: Click Sign on to AOL now, then simply sign on to AOL as usual using any of your AOL Screen Names.

The next time you start the AOL software, you'll notice 'Router' (or whatever name you gave the location) is available as one of the options in the drop-down Location menu on the AOL Sign-On screen (see Step 1). This allows you to easily switch between using a router connection and a different connection (for example, a dial-up modem) if you wish.

fran_oops 16:30 01 Mar 2006

Hi
Have just typed an answer and it disappeared!!!

Sorry have been away - to London - have just got back and desperate to get this router going since 16 year old twins still squabbling for place in cupboard under stairs and I never get a look in - but worse, my laptop will not allow me to install the modem from AOL - and the Helpline told me I only had an aol8 driver with an aol9 Broadband CD so needed to go to BT Warehouse to get a driver - but when I went to BT shop that was in town was told all BT shops closed down 5 years ago - nice to know advice lines have their fingers on the pulse!!!

So am still slogging away on my son's laptop. Got confused by all the offers but thought I was going for the easy answer with AOL(!!) since all email and stuff already set up so no transfer and unlimited download ESSENTIAL with my twins and elder daughter. If I could only get on the internet occasionally before midnight.....

I am so grateful for you list of what it all should read - I think you are showing great faith in me since I need the "Go to START go to MY COMPUTER " blah blah blah sort of lead by the nose!! Not a complete dodo but I am getting there.... however I am so keen not to let this beat me so I will try...... I will be back so please don't forget me - but I will need about a week to get this all going again - what little I had before has probably fizzled away in the panic so will have to start again from scratch....

I will be back........................

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?