Begginers php help.....

maanse 22:48 05 Nov 2008
  Ryanmt 10:35 07 Nov 2008

you could cheat and load a very small iframe with the php script in, that in theory would not reload your page.. but i have to wonder why really. whats wrong with just linking to the email address the
<a href="mailto:xyx">here</a> method

maanse 17:42 07 Nov 2008

Hi Ryanmt,

Thanks for the response, the only reason i dont want to use the standard html mailto link is because of the whole spam bot/crawlers that go about harvesting emails for spam purposes.

The only other option i can think of with my limited knowledge of webdesign is to put an image in place that contains the email address. That way the actual address isnt shown in the code and shouldnt be harvested by a bot.

cortez© 15:17 19 Nov 2008

Hi, that wont work as header function sends the request as a http request to the browser. So when you set the header location to an email address thats exactly like entering mailto:[email protected] into the adress bar in IE - outlokk will open but the page will obviously be blank.

There are many ways to hide your email adress, just have a quick google. A quick way to is output the email in unicode E.g. <a href="mailto:%66%6f%6f%40%62%61%72%2e%63%6f%6d">foo's email</a>
Another quick method is to try a fake email like:
mailto: usernameATyourdomaREMOVETHISin.com

However, the best I have come across is to use javascript session/ajax and php to obfuscate your email. E.g. the email is outputted to the page in md5. IF you google this on google there are many guides.

cortez© 15:23 19 Nov 2008
  cortez© 15:23 19 Nov 2008
  maanse 18:34 19 Nov 2008

Hi cortez

Thanks for your response, i had almost given up on this one. There are some good suggestions there and i will certainly be using one of them.

although i dont like this method
"mailto: usernameATyourdomaREMOVETHISin.com"

It looks a bit silly.

I will try the php code above first tho and let you know if it works....

Regards,

Mark.

cortez© 20:02 19 Nov 2008

yer, the fake email method is a quick dirty method. If you're really paranoid try the md5 method and if you are insanely paranoid salt the md5 (google that one) :)

maanse 20:55 19 Nov 2008

Im not really paranoid so i probably wont bother going down the route of md5, im just trying to think ahead, if the email inbox gets flooded with spam the site owner will be on my back.....

trust me its not fun.

So if i can slow down the little buggers hopefully i will save myself hassle.

Thanks again for the help. ;)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?