BCC in Outlook

Chrise57 13:21 08 Mar 2004

Does anybody know of a way to stop Outlook accepting e-mails with blind carbon copies attached.

Chris

tbh72 13:30 08 Mar 2004

Can I ask why you would want to stop a message which utilises BCC. BCC is a very useful feature and if used more readily by businesses & friends etc it would help prevent spam. Obviously further measures would have to be taken regarding spam.

You may find that if your receiving unwanted messages you may have to talk directly with the website owner or their ISP for action to be taken.

Sheila-214876 13:32 08 Mar 2004

How do you know there are blind copies attached? The whole idea of BCC is that the recipient doesn't know others have received the same email.

Sheila-214876 13:33 08 Mar 2004

Sorry Tony, you got there before me.

Chrise57 12:37 09 Mar 2004

I suspect that people I work with are using this method to hide the fact that they are reporting e-mail discussions to other members of staff. I am not opposed in principal but I would like to know who is saying what to whom if it concerns me. I can think of no valid reason for this and would like to be able to stop e-mails of this type.

Chrise57 12:39 09 Mar 2004

Because I have received follow on e-mails from people who are not shown as receiving the original.
Who is Tony?

Tog 12:57 09 Mar 2004

I don't think you can set up a rule to prevent bcc use.

I use bcc to keep my boss updated with events he is interested in but doesn't want to get involved in. i.e. Mr Slopey Shoulders just wants to be nosey.

Jester2K 13:15 09 Mar 2004

I don't wish to appear rude but how do you fit into the office hierarchy? Manager, IT Admin, etc etc It is important because we need to know what you can and can't apply to the PCs (ie an IT tech can do lots of things to Mail Servers etc but an Office Junior can't)

Are you asking for a rule that can be applied to ALL PCs in the office? If so surely the Mail Server can do that?

Also just because someone has followed up a message to you who was not on the original list doesn't mean they were BCC'd in. They may have have the message forwarded on from someone who was on the original list.

Sheila-214876 23:11 09 Mar 2004

If I send an email to many persons I generally use CC and not BCC. That means that everyone who receives the email knows everyone else who has also received the email. That could mean a whole lot of email addresses in the header. If I want to send the email to many people individually (very rare) I use BCC that means that each person only gets their own address and not the address of all the others ie. each person thinks they are the only one who got the email. (I usually send it to myself as the "To" and everybody else as "BCC". You need to find the originator and ask them the stop sending emails as BCC. But if you are that suspicious of people talking about you behind your back are you in the right job?

Chrise57 13:26 15 Mar 2004

I only have control of my laptop.

Chrise57 13:28 15 Mar 2004

This is a valid reason.
Maybe I am being too nosy.
You may be right

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone