BBC Technology (to blow up picture)

paddyjack 12:00 11 Jul 2004

In the early hours of this morning turned on the telly to the BBC technology program, and they showed a site that will blow up your picture on line and let you print it off. But the link is not on the web site.

Any chance anybody know what the site is. Not astute enough to make a note at the time.

Microbe 12:09 11 Jul 2004

I didn't note the site either, but could it have been this

click here

paddyjack 12:14 11 Jul 2004

Microbe

thats the fellow thanks.

powerless 12:29 11 Jul 2004
  Stuartli 15:38 11 Jul 2004

Did anyone see Channel 5's The Gadget Show the other day (due for a repeat tonight I think) comparing digital cameras with film cameras?

A professional photographer took pix of Suzi Perry with digital and film camera backs (same lens) and one of each type was enlarged to a staggering size; it took about nine hours to print each one.

Both photographs were displayed by being mounted on the front of a very large building block.

Turned out that Suzi preferred the digital picture.....

€dstowe 16:48 11 Jul 2004

An objective rather than a subjective report would have had much more meaning. I don't think Suzi Perry could be considered with any seriousness as an expert on photographic images so I believe her comment could be at least partly self congratulatory at seeing yet another image of herself.

We do a lot of extreme enlarging using both digital and conventional film originals. It is only very recently that digital results come anywhere near the quality that conventional chemical process film can produce. To achieve this, a very high quality (= very high cost) digital back has to be used. Even then, the results are far from equivalent on closer examination.

€d

Stuartli 17:15 11 Jul 2004

I never regarded nor inferred the programme was anything other than curiosity value - just an unusual talking point.

We've been through all this argument in the forum before - digital cameras still come a long way behind even a medium-priced film camera.

To be fair, the gap is closing, but I can still tell whether a picture is film or digitally based; bit like seeing a TV studio film production on television and then its video equivalent.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone