BBC & Real Player

TATHS 15:05 20 Nov 2007

I use the BBC play again service which apparently means that I have to download and insrtall Real Player. Unfortunately it also installs a lot of other bits including Real Messenger which insists on popong up at all sorts of moments. What is the absolute minimum of Real Player that I need to get the BBC, and how do I get rid of the rest.

cocteau48 15:33 20 Nov 2007

Cannot guarantee that it will work with the Beeb but Real Alternative should do the trick.
click here
Much smaller than Real Player and it is supposed to do virtually everything Real Player does.

anskyber 15:37 20 Nov 2007

I use Real Alternative and it works on the BBC.

john bunyan 15:41 20 Nov 2007

TATHS. I fully agree with cocteau48.Real Alternative works fine and does not try to grab other applications.I suggest you uninstall Real Player then install Real Alternative. If Real Player is difficult to get rid of, use Ccleaner to get rid of it, including cleaning the registry.

chub_tor 19:28 20 Nov 2007

I have used RealPlayer for years so that I can get programmes on the BBC website and have only recently downloaded version 11. I have never found it intrusive but I am very careful as to the boxes that I tick on each installation. As for Real Messenger I have never seen it mentioned on the installations that I have made.

bretsky 21:47 20 Nov 2007

Yes I can confirm that the above (cocteau48s link) works with BBC Radio 4 as I'm an avid listener of the station and like you used Real Player but have always found it very intrusive, so I uninstalled RP, rebooted and have just installed Real Alt 1.6 and it works a treat.

Thanx peeps

bretsky ;0)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?