BBC iPlayer Says I Am Not In UK

anniel 16:41 19 Nov 2008

...but I am. It advised me to contact my ISP about this. I use Windows XP Media Edition and have WMP11.

I rang my ISP, Tiscali but got no help there at all.

Has anyone here had this problem and is there a solution.

I use Kaspersky AV and have put the Kontiki files into my trusted zone.

I would appreciate any advice from members here.

DippyGirl 17:19 19 Nov 2008

Where does this click here think you are

Stuartli 18:30 19 Nov 2008

On the BBC home page, you can set your postcode for the area from which you wish to receive local news, weather etc. (Set Your Location button)

Perhaps setting this to your postcode might help?

eedcam 18:45 19 Nov 2008

Does'nt work by postcodes Stuart but by Isp locations as Dippy has linked to

anniel 18:47 19 Nov 2008

Thanks for your reply. It thinks I am in SWITZERLAND....if only!!! i live in london.

Why Tiscali has to do this to me I do not know. There must be others similarly affected.

Does this mean there is nothing I can do?

anniel 18:56 19 Nov 2008

Stuartli,

I tried that, but still no joy.

I am really getting hacked off with Tiscali, especially their tech. service for BB. the young man I spoke to based in India was most polite, but was singing from the formatted hymnsheet and had no advice to offer.

maybe it is time to move to Sky???

Stuartli 19:03 19 Nov 2008

With all due respects it is a bit of a one-off case - you can't really blame someone in India for not knowing the answer..:-)

However, the fact that the BBC website has you seemingly living in Switzerland does seem to provide a definite clue, even though changing your location doesn't work. Keep trying and ensure you Save the configuration.

I've found that my location on the website quite often changes from the North West to the London area for no apparent reason (default?) and I have to reconfigure it.

Stuartli 19:08 19 Nov 2008

This is certainly not an infallible service - I'm 40 odd miles away from where I'm listed, whilst a similar check by a speed test website I use informs me I have a completely different ISP to the one I actually use.

ashdav 19:12 19 Nov 2008

"I've found that my location on the website quite often changes from the North West to the London area for no apparent reason (default?) and I have to reconfigure it."
The settings are done by cookies so if you run a reg cleaner (Ccleaner for example) they are probably being deleted in which case the website will default to London.

Stuartli 19:16 19 Nov 2008

The ISP I'm supposed to be using is Opal Telecom - never been on my radar.....:-)

ashdav 19:17 19 Nov 2008

IP resolution will only locate you to the point where you are connected to the internet.
This doesn't mean your house but where your telephone exchange is linked to a local internet server.
This can be many miles from your house.
The next step up from that is a main internet server where you are connected into the internet proper if you like.
Some lookup services will not resolve past the main server so you will appear to be miles away (even a different country).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie