BB Playbook advice re android apps

eurosteve 18:34 29 Dec 2013

I bought this tablet for my daughter exactly 2 years ago and the big disappointment has been the apps or lack of them ! A while back i tried to sideload some via goodereader which required my laptop to download them first for some reason i cant recall before adding to the playbook - this was a total disaster which resulted in numerous virus / adware / spyware and my laptop is still not right.

so i wonder what my options are ? she wants to access android apps like style me girl etc

been on the blackberry site and you cant even email them for help any more ..... will never ever buy another rim product ever !

AroundAgain 19:09 29 Dec 2013

Hi

Sorry to hear you've had such a bad time with your laptop since.

I've got a Playbook and have side loaded without issue. As far as I know, the only way to install .bar files is via the DDPB Installer, which I assume you used? You can't install .apk files, as you presumably appreciate.

There is a very helpful forum for the Playbook which has lots of 'experts' who will try to help you - Blackberry PlayBook Forums. There is a section for Android Side Loading too, which may be of considerable help.

Not all .apk's have been converted to the necessary .bar files so it's possible the game/app you want isn't available for the PlayBook.

This particular thread on the Playbook forums may help you especially. Perhaps it would be worth posting your issue on the PlayBook forum?

I hope some/all of this helps you ...

eurosteve 15:07 30 Dec 2013

Hi yes it was the ddpb method I tried along with a youtube tutorial and apps from goodereader , maybe things have improved so will check out the link you gave.

Thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?