BB networking

Diodorus Siculus 08:44 09 Jun 2005

I have just ordered BtInternet Broadband (business).

Up to 2Mbps, uncapped. Had to be business as the line is a business line but only ever (as in one fax a month maybe?) used for the fax so I decided to get it BB enabled as the main phone system cannot be BB enabled.

Anyway, I will have it in the downstairs office, but will want to connect my centrino laptop upstairs sometimes.

So, some questions:

1: will this belkin router do the job? click here

2: do I connect the router to the PC via network port or has it to be wireless?

3 - the house is about a hundered years old and pretty solid. How good will this router be at getting through fairly solid walls / ceilings / floors?

Finally, would this be a better option? click here

Smickers 15:55 09 Jun 2005

Hi

Both belkin routers work the same way. It connects to the phone line and simultaneously shares the broadband either by any of the 4 (hard wired) ethernet ports or by the wireless side.

When I set up a wireless network I like to have at least one pc permenantly attached to the router by a network cable. This way if the wireless has gone down at least one pc can still connect to the router and/or internet.

The Faster router (i believe) combines channels to achieve the speed increase but is still compatible with the g standard. So this is the one I'd personally go for. There are a lot of varying factors with wireless, you probably will have to try it and see. If you decide to make the pc wireless, get a card with a separate aerial to put on the desk for best results.

Good luck Simon

Diodorus Siculus 19:08 09 Jun 2005

Thanks Simon; I'll report back when all is in place (about 2 weeks time I expect).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?