Battery/power

Verchi 11:17 09 Sep 2006

I have a new Sony Vaio FS515H. I have left it plugged into the mains to charge up the battery. To prolong the battery life, do I now take it out (I've read mention on the boards of putting it in a fridge?) when it is plugged into the mains? Or will it do any damage to the battery if I just leave it in? I'm not sure of the best way to treat it really.

spuds 11:33 09 Sep 2006

Just plug it in and let it charge normally,and leave at that.Do you not have an instruction book for the the laptop, explaining the charging routines?.

Putting electrical mains alive components with anything wet or water based is not a very good combination, and could result in a serious disaster. I think, what you may have read, is to remove from the laptop a poor quality charged battery, and leave this in a fridge for a short time. I have heard that this is suppose to do something, but never attempted this,I wouldn't know what!.

Belatucadrus 11:34 09 Sep 2006

I usually leave mine in situ with the laptop plugged in and haven't had any real problems. You do however need to run on battery until its completely flat every now and again, as it needs to be cycled occasionaly to remain in good condition.

ade.h 17:01 09 Sep 2006

Dell and HP, to name two, have stated that the cell can and should be left in place. I have not had a clear explanation for the "should", but the "can" applies if the laptop has a cutoff system, which they virtually all do apparently.

I certainly wouldn't want to use a laptop without a cell in it; all my office PC equipment is on UPSs, but practical constraints prevent using my laptop with anything more than a small surge protector. Without the cell, a power cut (quite common for us) can cause serious damage to the HDD mechanism of any PC.

Cymro. 17:08 09 Sep 2006

Here are a couple of places that will help you.

click here

click here

I got these from Fruit Bat /\0/\ on this forum,
so all thanks to Fruit Bat /\0/\.

cowboy62 11:12 10 Sep 2006

i understand a laptop battery needs calibrating every now and again this is done by totaly running the battery down and recharging it fully to top it back

woodchip 23:20 10 Sep 2006

Should be at half charge the put in plastic bag, and store in fridge untill you go on the road.

I do not have the battery in mine from new only put it in when I go away. Used it like this for nearly two years battery like new. Laptop just works as a Desktop on mains

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?