battery `not present` in HP Compaq 6120 laptop

nhojnhoj35 16:31 06 Mar 2009

Hi,
My laptop has suddenly decided it doesn`t have a battery in it. It says `not present` when I look in the power meter.

The side effect of this is the laptop will not power up unless it has the mains lead in it.

However, once powered up I can remove the mains lead and it will cheerfully run off the battery EVEN THOUGH the power light flashes to indicate that there is no power supply present.

What I know so far.......

1. It is not the battery as I swopped with an identical laptop and it made no difference

2. The battery is actually charging so I guess it can`t be a fault with the connections.

3.I have deleted the driver from the battery control in device manager but this hasn`t helped. It simply reinstalls itself with the same fault.

4. I have run the HP diagnostics tool and it says there is no problem with my system. I also tried the HP live help but it says my model is not covered for the service even though it is clearly listed on the site as being included.

5. I have updated the BIOS to the latest issue

6. If I go into the BIOS then the `battery information` option is greyed out and can`t be selected

For all the world it seems to be software related but I`m buggered if I know what to do now. I googled for ages and haven`t found anything of use.

A real good brain teaser for the experts on here, can anyone help please?????
THX

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:51 06 Mar 2009

1. Turn off the computer,
2. Take the battery out
3. Take out the power supply
4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
5. Reconnect power supply
6. Then the battery.
Should now show OK. This is because sometimes the mother board gets static and this clears it and, sometimes it shows a not charging fault instead .

nhojnhoj35 12:53 07 Mar 2009

Hi Fruit Bat,
I tried that, no joy but actually it developed that fault a couple of months ago and doing what you say fixed the problem. Could it be that something has blown on the motherboard perhaps?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:12 07 Mar 2009

Try cleaning battery contacts (on both battery and machine) an ink eraser (rubber) is good for this.

nhojnhoj35 13:42 07 Mar 2009

Hi,
Thanks for the response, I have to correct something I wrote above which may change things.

Actually the battery is NOT charging, it must have just been well charged because now if I pull out the mains lead it switches off within a minute without any kind of warning.

Could it be the ac jack at the rear?? I read about problematic connections needing solder repairs?

thx again

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:08 07 Mar 2009

If jack was us then laptop would no work without battery.

Possibilities are
1 bad battery
2 bad connections to battery
3 battery charge circuitry failed on motherboard

make and model of laptop

MAT ALAN 14:49 07 Mar 2009

Compac forum suggests it may be dying/dead CMOS battery linked to error message...

nhojnhoj35 19:12 07 Mar 2009

Model HP Compaq 6120 running windows XP.
I have run the HP utilities programs and they show nothing. It looks like it will need to go in for repair but I wonder if theres any way I could prove it was the motherboard?

Its deffo not the battery as I swopped on an identical laptop. My battery worked in the other one and their battery was not present on mine.

MAT ALAN 19:50 07 Mar 2009

Might be down to this then...

There is a AIC chip on the DC board in the rear that can cause this issue.(Daughter board).. (Adapter Interface Controller).. Look for a new board or change the chip.. Its a 14 pin TSOP may be similar to an LVC14A chip in design.

click here

text taken from link...

woodchip 22:10 07 Mar 2009

Motherboard Fault

nhojnhoj35 09:54 08 Mar 2009

cheers for the help, mobo seems the culprit

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?