Battery Installation for Sony Laptop

David Beverley 18:03 22 Jul 2010

I purchased a new battery from SalesBattery.co.uk on line for my Sony Vaio laptop. It came with an installation programme to alter the BIOS settings. The instructions below seem to offer dire warnings and therefore I am reluctant to run their programme.
Could you advice me if it is safe to run this programme and also can you translate the received instructions into something more sensible

Driver Instrctions

1. Copy the “bps8setup.exe” file from the attached CD diskette to your computer.
NOTICE: This Program can not run on the disk directly.
2. Double click “bps8setup.exe”,show Bios update message:
A : If don’t plug AC adaptor and battery simultaneously,or capacity of battery is below 30%,and so on,should prompt relative error message and can not update Bios,in order to avoid destroy your compute for no power during updating (Pic1)

B: If all conditions are satisfied,show as below:(Pic 2)

Remark:If running “bps8setup.exe” is first performed in your compute ,prompt message include: “Killprocess=ISBMgr.exe
StopAutostart=ISBMgr.exe”, which would make your computer not prompt abnormal battery ,but not charge non-original battery ,recommend you use original battery for update process!

C: If accept licensing agreement and click the “ Accept agreement” option ,after click “Update” command ,would automatically complete update process and restart your computer!( Pic 3)

Remarks:
1,File mode is safety mode,update bios files are verified with relative notebook, recommmend select this mode!
2,Patch mode will update BIOS patch files ,Update files are not verified!

laptopking 12:46 09 Feb 2011

I have similar concerns to David following my purchase of a Sony Vaio battery replacement.

It was shown on their website as a genuine Sony item but the battery I received was not Sony branded and in addition came with a small CD with Chinese (?) writing on it. I emailed salesbattery to ask them to explain both of these and the lack of warning when I ordered. No answer to date but I am chasing.
If you check the Amazon site you will see a fantastic service and customer approval record......something suspicious here??

robin_x 13:07 09 Feb 2011

It is basically saying 'make sure you have power' during BIOS update. ie mains adapter.
And have your old battery plugged in during BIOS flashing.

If power is lost during flash the computer will be a brick.

Run the program, accept licence.
1. Chose File Mode which will verify. And presumably keep your old BIOS if it fails verify.

Do not use 2. patch mode. It will overwrite without verifying.

Up to you whether you trust this supplier or return for refund.

David Beverley 18:08 09 Feb 2011

Thank you. I was very interested to hear your difficulties. I decided not to install the battery and returned it recorded delivery to the address from where it was sent. I had no response and therefore told my credit card company. After a considerable period of time and several letters and e-mails to my credit card company, they refunded me the full amount. The company themselves denied receipt of the returned battery despite me having evidence of posting. I suppose the moral is “if it is too good to be true then it is”

woodchip 19:33 09 Feb 2011

I don't get this, what as replacing a battery got to do with updating BIOS? on a Laptop

anchor 13:42 10 Feb 2011

I agree with woodchip. Changing the battery has nothing to do with updating the bios.

I got a replacement battery, (not a Sony original), for my Sony Vaio last summer, and its a simple job to just unclip the old, and insert the new. It works fine.

Ensure the computer is turned OFF when you do this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?