Basic Website - Help Please

suedeblue 14:02 15 Feb 2006

Can anyone point me in the right direction as I want to set up a very simple website (2-3 pages), but have absolutely no knowledge of basic, HTML ect.
All I really want to do is provide background details, contact details and services provided with email addresses and contact numbers.
I know from previous postings that there is a huge knowledge base in the helproom and have had many helful replies.

De Marcus™ 14:06 15 Feb 2006

For something as simple as what you want, microsoft word would do the job very nicely and has the added advantage of being familiar.

suedeblue 15:24 15 Feb 2006

Thanks for the info.

How would I integrate a colour background and then publish on the net?

brambles 15:33 15 Feb 2006

click here

Why not consider a BLOG - it's free - you don't need any HTML coding and you can put whatever information/ photos that you want. It sounds ideal for what you want & once you have signed up & created it (Templates available) it will be on the WEB and you can advise the address.

Why not try it? Link above

Brambles

suedeblue 15:49 15 Feb 2006

Thanks for your help.

I'll take a look and see what the best options are for me as I really do need to understand the process.

De Marcus™ 15:51 15 Feb 2006

If the website is to be as simple as stated, then in word all you have to do is click on format > background > pick a colour. To save the design as a compatible web page you'll need to choose the 'save as web page' option located on the file menu. As for publishing it, you'll need to purchase a domain name and a host which others would be better off at advising on, my usual host is 1&1.co.uk and I've never ventured beyond them.

A free file transfer program can be used to publish the site.

If your site evolves in any way, MS word won't be suitable.

Wak 16:14 15 Feb 2006

Not knowing anything about HTML I went to the NVU web site click here which helps you build a web site on a What-you-see-is-what-you-get basis, i.e. Drag and drop.
Having built the pages you need, you can go to click here who have a FREE LITE program which will upload the files etc. to the Server of your choice.
Most ISPs will give you a limited amount of space on their server so you can always use that space to use as your own web site and upload the pages there.
In my experience, what ever you do will be a learning curve so you may have to play around with various sites and programs until you teach yourself exactly what they do or don't do.
Don't expect miracles overnight and then you won't be disappointed. Just keep trying and plodding on and you'll get there eventually.
Best of Luck.

suedeblue 02:30 16 Feb 2006

I have seen a company called Fasthosts and they offer a business package for £15.00 pm. There must be many more, but as my knowledge is so limited it is very much down to trusting their corporate information.

Having read the feedback here I am now not so sure that my needs are quite as simple as I first thought. I want to promote my business which is in its infancy and I feel that a website would be a good way to access more customers.

Has anyone heard of this company and if so do you have any experience of them.

suedeblue 02:33 16 Feb 2006

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has offered advice so far. It is much appreciated.

suedeblue 09:12 16 Feb 2006

Thanks for all the advice. I will just have to get stuck on the trial and error method and am sure it will be steep learning curve.

brambles 15:11 16 Feb 2006

You could make a start by purchasing a Domain - look at click here they are a very reputable company. They also have people on the phone who will help you.

Just type the name you would like to register i.e. Suedeblue then select the type i.e co.uk for business - don't worry you can experiment without purchasing and there are lots of information on the site.

Brambles

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?