Basic questions about anti-virus et al programs?

Triprajul 23:55 12 Apr 2010

Greetings:

I am running XP on my computer and I am still trying to figure out things hence the following questions:

1)How do I determine if my computer is “32 bit” or “64 bit”? I know that I have 3 gig RAM but that is all I know. Honestly, I still don't understand what “32 bit” and “64 bit” mean?

2)My perhaps primitive idea of anti-virus programs et al is that they run in the background and I don't have to do anything. However, in an earlier posting of mine, Fruit Bat /\0/\ (a frequent contributor) posted the following:
“Back that up with Malware bytes or superantispyware free (on demand scanners) and SpywareBlaster as a blocker

Don't scan more than one at once as they will interfer with each other”

Q: what are “on demand scanners” and what does “Don't scan more than one at once as they will interfer with each other”
exactly mean?

3)Finally, if I download the following onto to my computer (assuming I have 32 bit), would they work seamlessly or would they need some input or tweaking from me?

Firewall Zonealarm
Antivirus - Avast
malware - SAS (superantispyware) plus Malawarebytes

Sorry for all the questions. I find this all fascinating but sometimes a little difficult to understand. Thank you in advance for any information you provide me.

birdface 08:38 13 Apr 2010

Try right clicking my computer then properties.
It will tell you on that if 32 bit or not.
Zone Alarm is good but can be a bit annoying with constant pop ups asking for you to allow or deny programs.
If you are confident about using it carry on.

wiz-king 08:56 13 Apr 2010

On demand scans are usually run once a week or monthly, just as a check because anti-virus scanners sometimes miss something or you could get a virus before the program has the antidote.
If you try to run two anti-virus scanners at the same time one of them may find the virus definitions of the other and throw them up as false positives.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires