Basic networking PC> Laptop with AOL broadband

tashap 17:42 13 Mar 2008

Hi all!

I hope I'm in the right place and that someone will be able to help please.

I need to connect my PC (6 year old Dell - Windows XP - no wireless card) to my laptop (5 year old Dell - Windows XP - no wireless card) to be able to use the internet on both machines. I'm with AOL broadband, using the BT voyager 105 modem they provided. From the tone of this message, you've probably already guessed that I don't know anything at all about networking :-( Basically, my questions are:

1) is it possible to use the internet on both machines at the same time?

2) what do I need to buy to make this happen?Bearing in mind that I don't think I have wireless on either computers as they're quite old now, is that a problem?

Thanks a lot!

Tasha

setecio 18:01 13 Mar 2008

Yes, many do what you want to do.

I would ring AOL and ask them to send you out a free wireless router as they are to new customers who sign up for their £15pm standard broadband.

See if they will also send you a free wireless adapter for your laptop, or if not buy one.

Find out if the desktop has an ethernet port in which case you can just wire it to a wireless router. If not you will need an ethernet card to install.

How technical are you ?

tashap 18:16 13 Mar 2008

Thanks Setecio for the prompt & detailled reply!

"I would ring AOL...": that's a good idea! I never thought of that! I'll try that tomorrow morning, cheers!

"See if they will also send you a free wireless adapter...": is that something that looks like a memory stick and costs about £20 to £30?

"Find out if the desktop has an ethernet port...": I don't think it does. My PC is a
Dell Dimension DIM4500.

"How technical are you ?...": well, on a scale of 1 to 10, I'd say "2", sorry...

Thanks again!
Tasha

setecio 19:30 13 Mar 2008

"See if they will also send you a free wireless adapter...": is that something that looks like a memory stick and costs about £20 to £30?

Yes, but a PCMCIA card might be better.

You'll need to get an ethernet card for the desktop click here and a PCMCIA version for the laptop click here

2 out of 10 ... can you get some help from someone who is technical .... it is OK if it all works, but if you strike a problem you might need some help.

tashap 10:10 14 Mar 2008

Thanks again, I'll look into all that & write again when it's sorted to let you know. You've been very helpful, thansk again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?