Basic Montior Recommendation

luke1206 12:10 02 Sep 2007

Hi, I was wondering whether anyone could give me their recommendation for a basic flat panel monitor.

I quite a lot of word processing/spreadsheet work and basic web-browsing, but no gaming or video requirements.

I was looking at either the HannsG HW223DP 22in or Samsung SM226BW which seem to get good reviews but I thought these might be a bit over the top for my needs and whether there is anything a bit smaller up to £160 that wouldn't be too much of a compromise on quality.

Thanks in advance.

holme 12:36 02 Sep 2007

This isn't a recommendation for a specific monitor, but it might be worth my mentioning that, for the mainly textual work which you envisage, you can IMHO greatly improve text clarity on even cheapo monitors by using the ClearType feature within WindowsXP (and presumably Vista but I'm not sure about earlier versions).

(The following does /not/ apply if your graphics card already provides proper 'antialiasing', which Windows doesn't).

By default, Windows uses 'Standard' text smoothing but, if you right-click anywhere in the desktop and select Properties, the Appearance tab and click on Effects, then change the 'Use the following method to smooth edges of screen fonts' sub-menu setting from Standard to ClearType and click on OK, that should significantly improve the text display.

If desired, you can then fine-tune it by clicking on Start - Control Panel - ClearType Tuning and run the self-explanatory tuning wizard.

You /may/ find on a cheapo monitor that ClearType causes black text to have red and/or blue edges, but that shouldn't detract from readability.

These changes affect only what you see on the monitor and /not/ what will be printed. HTH.

SANTOS7 12:57 02 Sep 2007

click here

My next purchase....

Jake_027 13:06 02 Sep 2007

Don't forget to check whether you are currently using a vga or dvi connection, as depending on what you buy, you may need a converter.

luke1206 15:40 02 Sep 2007

The LG looks good to me. For the record, PC World are selling it for £99.97 on their website. Although it's currently out of stock.

I looked into the ClearType setting and as I have Vista, it's already a default setting.

I am actually using a Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop but I need the monitor as I'm fed up with having to look down at it all the time. Not good for the posture!

If I got the LG is there anything I need to consider compatability or conectivity-wise? Does the DVA/VGA conntection simply depend on the type of cable?

Thanks for your advice.

holme 15:57 02 Sep 2007

As the LG has a 15-pin D-sub socket, and I guess you laptop will have a similar port, a standard VGA cable with 15-pin plugs at each end should do it. HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?