Basic information Please

redvet 09:50 28 Aug 2008

Apologies if a bit basic but still learning at an old age.
I am currently looking for a laptop, probably going for Toshiba and notice that some models have S Video outlet to TV and others don't. If this socket is not present is it still possible to buy something which will do the job ?
Also notice that all new laptops which I have looked at have Vista installed as operating programme. Is it possible for me to remove Vista and replace with Windows XP which I have in my desktop.

ronalddonald 10:52 28 Aug 2008

you cant install xp onto a vista machine, microsoaft rules, becasue of the oem number. If you do you could invalidate the Guaranteeon the laptop.
You could try

click here

They do laptops without an operaating system hence install an operating system.

Eric10 11:38 28 Aug 2008

The problem with buying a Vista laptop and then installing XP is that you can have difficulty finding XP drivers for some of the newer hardware.

As ronalddonald says, you can't install the XP from your desktop PC unless it was a retail version that you brought for it. Even if it is a retail version, you would have to remove it from the desktop as you can't have it installed on two machines at once.

Laptops Direct still do XP laptops click here.

redvet 11:46 28 Aug 2008

Many thanks to both for great info. Any feedback re NovaTech, I quite like the specs. I have read some really poor reviews for Laptops direct !!

woodchip 11:53 28 Aug 2008

You would also need vital XP drivers for the Laptop hardware

redvet 14:55 28 Aug 2008

OK guess have to forget that one but does this also mean that I cannot use my desktop installation discs for Microsoft Works etc since they were supplied with the hardware when new.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie