Basic file and printer sharing wireless network

Huggytrees 09:57 16 Mar 2007

I currently have a wireless internet connection installed in my home and it is working fine with 2 wireless laptops and a wireless desktop all of these can access the internet fine. However what i would like to do is network all my computers so i can access the printer attached to the desktop from the laptops without having to go upstairs and unplug the printer from the desktop and plug in the laptop. Is this possible? i have tried using the network wizard to no avail so has anyone got any instructions for dummies as how to do this?

Andy

moorie- 13:30 16 Mar 2007

hi have you installed the printer software on the other machines?
also access your printer on host machine via control panel right click properties and check printer sharing is on

mgmcc 13:31 16 Mar 2007

Basically, set at least one folder in each PC as "shared" by right clicking and selecting the Sharing & Security option (this is to facilitate getting them to communicate over the network) and configure any firewall software to allow access to the networked computers, which may involve adding their IP addresses in a "trusted" section.

NETWORK PRINTER
=================
1) Connect the printer to the "client" PC, as though it were to be used with that computer, and install it. This ensures that it has all the necessary software/drivers on board.

2) Reconnect it to the "host" PC and, in its Properties, set it as "shared". In the client's "My Network Places" (or Network Neighborhood), the printer should then appear as a shared resource of the "host" PC along with any shared folders. Double clicking the printer in the remote PC should automatically install it as a "network printer" in the "client". This means that the "client" now has the same printer installed twice - once as a "local" printer and again as a "network" printer (with a bar under the icon to indicate a network device). If you are always going to print via the network, you may want to set the "network printer" as the default.

Otherwise, have a look at this Microsoft article. It is an old article written for Windows 95, but the basic principle for installing the network printer should still be valid. click here

ArrGee 09:58 17 Mar 2007

Not sure if this is of any use to you, but I thought I may as well post it:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?