basic excel graph

peug417 20:04 28 Aug 2007

never used a chart before. I have to complete a presntation of my career as a graph. I am required to have the years on the bottom (x axis i think) from 1982 to 2007 and high and low on the left it is to be a line graph plotting the highs and lows of my career. I would be gratful for any assistance. i have tried using the wizard but got a bit confused as i couldnt get the years across the bottom

VoG II 20:14 28 Aug 2007

Excel can be infuriating when it comes to charts. If you have Years in Column A and Values in Column B, selected them and inserted a line chart you probably ended up with both columns plotted against 'point number'. Not very helpful :o(

Try this. Select Columns A and B and insert a Scatter chart. You can then either right click a point on the chart and select Format data series and add lines and suppress the points OR if you right click the chart and select Change Chart Type you should be able to get a line chart.

How are you valuing the highs and lows - salary?

peug417 20:20 28 Aug 2007

I am plotting the highs and lows based on purley on the high points I.e New job and Lows i.e made redundant etc. so the only two criteria on axis y will be high - low.

VoG II 20:23 28 Aug 2007

Ah - well you can only plot numbers on the Y axis. So you would have to use 0 for low and 1 for high or similar.

Having said that, there are some tricks available and I'll have a look on Jon Peltier's site for one. In the meantime, try plotting 0s and 1s.

VoG II 20:26 28 Aug 2007

Here ya go click here

peug417 21:38 28 Aug 2007

Thanks Vog
I have managed to complete the chart by playing about with your first suggestion. Thanks for the link, something to keep for future reference.
Thanks again..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?