basic coding help please

mco 19:37 05 Dec 2006

I'm trying to make pages just in html, my first effort. This works but the alt attribute doesn't appear online, Have I put it in the correct place in the code? Is there anything else I should be doing better here? Thanks
p> a href="franceintro.html"alt="flash game" target="blank"/a>A hoopshoot game to introduce France /p>

mco 19:38 05 Dec 2006

it just doesn't show them

RicScott 20:17 05 Dec 2006

Putting the 'ALT' tag at the end of the line and leave a space between the code....ie:

<P> <A HREF="franceintro.html" TARGET="BLANK" ALT="flash game" A hoopshoot game to introduce France </A></P>

RicScott 20:18 05 Dec 2006

Place the > after the ALT tag..
<P> <A HREF="franceintro.html" TARGET="BLANK" ALT="flash game"> A hoopshoot game to introduce France </A></P>

Eric10 20:20 05 Dec 2006

Try adding title="flash game" instead of alt. I think that alt only works with IE6. The enclosing single quotes are only there for the forum and aren't part of the code.

'<p><a href="franceintro.html" title="flash game" target="_blank" /a>A hoopshot game to introduce France</p>'

PurplePenny 22:35 05 Dec 2006

works with all browsers. What you are thinking of is that only IE shows the alt text on mouseover. Alt text was only intended to be displayed/read when the graphic is not displayed so what the other browsers are doing is OK.

mco 23:54 05 Dec 2006

I will try these alternatives in the morning rather than now as it approaches midnight!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: UAL Central Saint Martins

MacBook Pro 15-inch (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?