Basic advice please on connecting wireless laptop

tootsietights 19:50 27 Dec 2007

I have a conventional wired PC which has a sagem modem plugged into a BT phone line. My ISP is Tiscali Broadband. The PC has Windows XP. I now want to buy a wireless laptop. How do I connect the wireless laptop into my existing non-wireless PC system as I would like to be able to transfer files etc. All I know is that I will need a router but do not know which one to get. Sorry, but I know very little about all this. Also, should I buy a laptop that has Windows XP the same as my PC?

ambra4 22:44 27 Dec 2007

How is the Sagem modem connected via a USB port or Via an Ethernet cable to the Lan port on the computer?

If via USB you will need to purchase a combine ADSL2/2+ Modem Wireless 54Mbps Firewall Router sample of the type required.

Linksys Wireless-G ADSL Home Gateway Router

click here

3Com Office Connect Wireless 54Mbps ADSL2/2+ Modem Firewall Router

click here

D-Link Wireless G ADSL2+ Modem Router

click here

Using the above type routers you would remove your present modem and do a total new install

If via an Ethernet cable you can purchase just a wireless router, which you connect to your present modem via the Ethernet cable

Linksys Wireless-G 54Mbps Broadband Router

click here

D-Link 54Mbps Wireless Broadband Router

click here

tootsietights 22:52 27 Dec 2007

Thank you very much for your help.

ambra4 00:53 28 Dec 2007

With regards to the laptop OS it would be easier for you if you stay with XP as Vista can be a real pain if you are not to verse in computers and wireless networking

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone