Basic advice needed regarding using a microphone.

  edenworkshops 13:06 30 Mar 2012


I want to record myself playing the guitar on my PC.

I know a little about the PC but nothing about using a microphone.

I guess the mike would be plugged into one of the small jack sockets at the back of the PC, coloured pink, green and blue. Would the mike be plugged into just one of these sockets? If so which one?

I dont need fantastic quality, a reasonable basic mike would do.

I hope to get one on eBay, what size jack plug should I be looking for...3.5mm?

Thank you


  Nontek 13:09 30 Mar 2012

The mic fits into the PINK Minijack socket.

  edenworkshops 13:26 30 Mar 2012


What size jack plug should I be looking for?


  Nontek 14:55 30 Mar 2012

Normally it is a Standard Mini-jack, you will find that all Mic's and relevant Sockets on PC's are Standard Mini-jack 3.5mm

  Ian in Northampton 15:19 31 Mar 2012

But then, you need to identify the software you'll be using to make the recording. Audacity is free and very good.

Note that an alternative to the 3.5mm minijack is a USB microphone. Like this, for example.

  Forum Editor 18:04 31 Mar 2012

Are we talking about an electric guitar?

If we are, the simplest way is to connect the headphone/line out from your amp to the line in socket on your soundcard. All you need to do this is a cable which has a standard jack on one end, and a mini-jack on the other.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5T review: Hands-on

See the Best Button Badge Designs of 2017

iPhone X review

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires